• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Martin Johnson quits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just heard that Suity has applied for the job.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      You reckon it was that and not a realisation that he is actually not a very good coach who had poor results over a fairly extended time-frame?
      Think thats a bit unfair.

He had no experience, it was a baptism of fire that job and I think he didn't do too badly. I reckon once he gets more experience he will be pretty good, it will just take time.

But then what would I know

I'll stick the kettle on before someone (Mich !!) tells me to do it.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        When is Dean Richards back from his ban?
        Surely after the ball swapping fiasco at the RWC they'd want to reduce the number of cheats in the team set-up?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          When is Dean Richards back from his ban?
          Dunno, but I don't think replacing MJ is the answer; Rob Andrew should be dumped and replaced by a highly experienced coach who can help MJ become the coach he can be and will one day become. Geoff Cooke, Roger Uttley spring to mind, of 'overseas candidates' I'd suggest Graham Henry or Geech.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            Think thats a bit unfair.

He had no experience, it was a baptism of fire that job and I think he didn't do too badly. I reckon once he gets more experience he will be pretty good, it will just take time.

But then what would I know

I'll stick the kettle on before someone (Mich !!) tells me to do it.
            WCMS

can I have a digestive biscuit too please?

Comment

You reckon it was that and not a realisation that he is actually not a very good coach who had poor results over a fairly extended time-frame?
              I agree that their win rate under his steer wasn't the best (55% I read somewhere earlier). Pretty poor for a top flight team - especially considering they get to play Scotland Ireland Italy Wales each year.
              Last edited by Pondlife; 16 November 2011, 12:18. Reason: 55% no6 53%

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                WCMS

can I have a digestive biscuit too please?
                If you're happy with a 55% win-rate then I'd agree. Personally, add that to the poor style of play and I'd be pretty disgruntled.

Comment

If you're happy with a 55% win-rate then I'd agree. Personally, add that to the poor style of play and I'd be pretty disgruntled.
                  Not happy with that win rate, just questioning whether it's all down to MJ; some day, he will become a great coach as he grows in a personal sense (he's a very young man for his role); I'd rather he did that with England than with someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Not happy with that win rate, just questioning whether it's all down to MJ; some day, he will become a great coach as he grows in a personal sense (he's a very young man for his role); I'd rather he did that with England than with someone else.
                    It's almost definitely not all down to him. It's the reality of professional sport though, coaches live and die by the teams results. For me, he hasn't got the best out of the team that he has had at his disposal and I see no sign of improvement.

Comment

It's almost definitely not all down to him. It's the reality of professional sport though, coaches live and die by the teams results. For me, he hasn't got the best out of the team that he has had at his disposal and I see no sign of improvement.
                      I think he needs a sort of ubercoach who can show him how to get the best out of people; it's up to his assistants (whom he needs to select more carefully and be prepared to fire) to do the technical stuff; I think Uttley or possibly Geech (or one or two others I've named, but those are the two I have experience with) could help; both of those guys have exceptional ability in dealing with people and getting the best out of them as people. I've been to coaching workshops given by both of them and I think they are exactly the sort of people who should have Rob Andrew's job.

As for Rob Andrew; what a tosser. Just hoping Fran Cotton comes in and kicks living tulip out of him.

Comment

Working...
                      X