• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone cook their own curries?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    If you don't have a go you will never get better. You may find you have a talent for it.

Try Pat Chapmans Curry Club books.
    OK I will try, just busy with other "projects" in the evening. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      OK I will try, just busy with other "projects" in the evening. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look it up.
      Just to help - Pat Chapman's Curry Club Sounds like the "Quick After Work Curries" book is for you then.

Some of it is a bit of a cheat because he does rely on you having some stuff prepared before hand, but he does tell you how to prepare the stuff before hand.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

cook basmati rice in a pyrex dish with a lid in the oven - same quantities of rice, water and salt - 35-40 mins - a world of difference.

Bolst's curry powder is an excellent product.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Not sure what you mean by vegetable rice but here's a decent spicy rice recipe. You'll need a pan with a well-fitting lid.

- a bit of rice ( a cup, say)
          - some water (2x rice by volume)

Fry rice gently (and briefly) in a touch of vegetable oil. Chuck in the water. Add a couple of cardamom pods, some cumin seeds and a bit of turmeric for colour. Chuck lid on pan and simmer for 10 mins. Turn heat off and leave for a further 10 mins. Rice should now have absorbed all water and be quite dry (if not, remove lid, place clean tea towel over the pan and leave for a bit)
          If you want veg-focused rice, I guess you could fry the veg off for a couple of mins before you add the rice.
          Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Or to flavour the rice for a different curry, throw a couple of cardamom pods and some cummin seeds into the boiling water while cooking the rice.
          Those are the kind of thing I was after, cool.

I prefer to order from the local Indian restaurant, as they have years of experience and all the authentic ingredients to hand. Same reason I don't build my own vacuum cleaner or make my own olive oil.
          School dinner ladies and McDonalds' workers often have years of experience too. Doesn't make their food taste nice.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Try this one persian jewelled rice
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Those are the kind of thing I was after, cool.

School dinner ladies and McDonalds' workers often have years of experience too. Doesn't make their food taste nice.
              Experience at what though? Flipping burgers barely qualifies as cooking. I will be trying a few of the curries recipes suggested though.

Comment

Experience at what though? Flipping burgers barely qualifies as cooking. I will be trying a few of the curries recipes suggested though.
                A typical takeaway is not going to have trained chefs, just big vats and cooking by numbers. If you find a good restaurant that does take-out, fair enough. But in the sticks, not so common. Plus Indian takeout can get expensive and you rely on them being able to find your house

Comment

you rely on them being able to find your house
                  To be honest, I have occasionally had difficulty finding it myself!
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

A typical takeaway is not going to have trained chefs, just big vats and cooking by numbers. If you find a good restaurant that does take-out, fair enough. But in the sticks, not so common. Plus Indian takeout can get expensive and you rely on them being able to find your house
                    Yeah, luckily I live in city so have a decent one within delivery distance. I suppose if you cook your own you have infinitely more options than the usually limited menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                      To be honest, I have occasionally had difficulty finding it myself!
                      Why are you trying to find my house?

Comment

Working...
                      X