• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    So much bull about cv's. Mines 7 pages long. Only once did an agent tell me to cut it down to 2 (or 3 max). I said no. So they didn't put me forward. Got the job via another agent.
    That's probably because the agent cut it down for you.

Some agents like to do editing.

Unfortunately some of them are so thick that their editing ends up like gibberish.

Luckily lots of HR staff are also thick and if you manage to get on with the interviewer it's another thing to bond on.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

managed to get mine down to 5 pages over the weekend. I still think its quite long, but cannot seem to get it shorter

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
        managed to get mine down to 5 pages over the weekend. I still think its quite long, but cannot seem to get it shorter
        10 pages for 22 contracts, thats half a page per gig. you are bonkers

anything more than a few years ago should be a single line, unless it was high earning splendid stuff
        its the client name that matters most

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

anything more than a few years ago should be a single line, unless it was high earning splendid stuff
          <Pedant>
          It is a CV.. if you start cutting things out to trim it down then it becomes a Résumé
          </Pedant>
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            <Pedant>
            It is a CV.. if you start cutting things out to trim it down then it becomes a Résumé
            </Pedant>
            and if you puff it up and include that nice feedback you got in 1989 from the assistant project managers second in command, it becomes a stream of consciousness ball and chain.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Actually that was an example, but yeah I had half a page for some contracts. Realized it was too much, now its shorter but still want to cut more, its not exactly the final version. So you're saying anything before 2009 should be a 1 liner?

Comment

Actually that was an example, but yeah I had half a page for some contracts. Realized it was too much, now its shorter but still want to cut more, its not exactly the final version. So you're saying anything before 2009 should be a 1 liner?
                in my opinion. Unless its a staggeringly wonderful tech, or project or client or achievement.

e.g. I did a gig once in Singapore, so it gets two lines.

The rationale is that it defuses one of the age old questions 'Will you be ok working down in London?'

answer - 'I'll work anywhere - even Singapore, see page 3. Even though it was a bugger getting home for lunch. ha hah.'

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

Actually this is quite interesting. I have more than 11 years experience and the first years were like Mainframe, COBOL, DB2 etc. I have also worked on a lot of contracts in the years, so my CV is like 10 pages long, which some agents might say is too long. Do you guys list all the project from when you started out, or lets say just the last 5 years to keep the CV more concise?
                  10 pages seriously!
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    What's really sad though, is this agent didn't realise he'd set the language default to Welsh, so it was all badly spelt.
                    Dwi ddim yn siarad cymraeg...
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      That's probably because the agent cut it down for you.

Some agents like to do editing.

Unfortunately some of them are so thick that their editing ends up like gibberish.

Luckily lots of HR staff are also thick and if you manage to get on with the interviewer it's another thing to bond on.
                      99% of the time, the interviewer has my CV in front of them, so I can see it. I've never seen it any different to what I send in. Except the contact details at the top is removed. The 2 page cv is bull. I have too much experience and info to put across. But then I always get a lot of work, so what do I know over a "CV expert" who is charging for their work.

Comment

Working...
                      X