• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - Next project - BTL and?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visited site/house. Reviewed plans. Met the neighbours. Made offer. Seems a good opportunity and is a good buy to try my first 'development'. Though my plan will be to rent straight out and worry about the 2nd property later.

There are two other offers in as well.

Que sera sera.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      If it's cash, I know of one better, in fact if you have cash I may even know one to get you a short term 6-12 months very high return. All surveys etc done and waiting at solicitors.
      Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
      Should have mentioned I bought a repo'd 3 bed flat for 44,000 and the council are paying 400 per month for it . There are much better deals for BTL's out there if you look for them focusing solely on yield.
      Chaps, what locations are you referring to?

Comment

If you are purely in it for the money, there ARE better returns BUT you'll probably be buying places you'd NEVER want to live. For instance where we used to live - north-east village, there are lots of 3-bed terrace/semis for £60k or less... rental rate about £400pcm. But you're relying on DSS tenants and it's a bit rough... well more poor than proper rough, but it seems rough to a middle-class private-school softie like me.

My folks (who own a nice big house in Cornwall) have just bought a 3/4 bed semi, with garage and decent garden around Merseyside for something like £70k.

So cheap places are around quite widely up north, on both coasts.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Chaps, what locations are you referring to?
          Mines in NI , check out Allsops auctions when repo'd houses don't sell with estate agents they go here.

Comment

Mines in NI , check out Allsops auctions when repo'd houses don't sell with estate agents they go here.
            I've seem some good results / yields with Allsops. Another property I looked at in Blackwater at 115k needing complete renovation went for 170k. Done up it was only worth 200k.

There is little cheap property near me. 180k for a one bedroomed flat. Rental yields are crap.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I've seem some good results / yields with Allsops. Another property I looked at in Blackwater at 115k needing complete renovation went for 170k. Done up it was only worth 200k.

There is little cheap property near me. 180k for a one bedroomed flat. Rental yields are crap.
              Thanks Geoff. I'm on most of the auction houses mailing lists but same as MF, I'm based in the South East and auction properties are still selling well in these areas.

Buying further afield, as already mentioned in this thread, poses its own problems.

Comment

142k sale agreed.

Is there an idiots guide to Property Development???

Comment

142k sale agreed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Property-Lad...0254248&sr=8-3
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You can buy ours if you like. You'll get about 6.5% yield and it'll cost you only £75k - ready to let
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

142k sale agreed.

Why do I have a feeling this is going to end very badly?

Comment

Working...
                      X