• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The united states of Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Why the Omlet Ltd in Oxfordshire is single handily raising the economy with their eggcup export programme.

And less we forget North yorkshire's booming industry in bespoke flower pots.

USofE don't stand a chance with that sort export market hot on their heels
    What about having the largest aerospace industry in Europe?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      What about having the largest aerospace industry in Europe?
      Would you be talking about EADS? Primarily owned by French, German, Italians and Russians with the UK being one their largest customers. Its quite interesting that if you go to the big European space program that the majority of permanent staff are now no longer British (whereas it used to be mainly Brits) due to the UK government reducing the amount it paid into the program. Maybe this was due in part to not enough students actually learning skills in university to work in the industry.

In the European Union, aerospace companies such as EADS, BAE Systems, Thales, Dassault, Saab and Finmeccanica account for a large share of the global aerospace industry and research effort, with the European Space Agency as one of the largest consumers of aerospace technology and products.

The United Kingdom formerly attempted to maintain its own large aerospace industry, making its own airliners and warplanes, but it has largely turned its lot over to cooperative efforts with continental companies, and it has turned into a large import customer, too, from countries such the United States. However, the UK has a very active aerospace sector, including the largest defence contractor in the world, BAE Systems, supplying fully assembled aircraft, aircraft components, sub-assemblies and sub-systems to other manufacturers, both in Europe and all over the world.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Would you be talking about EADS? Primarily owned by French, German, Italians and Russians with the UK being one their largest customers. Its quite interesting that if you go to the big European space program that the majority of permanent staff are now no longer British (whereas it used to be mainly Brits) due to the UK government reducing the amount it paid into the program. Maybe this was due in part to not enough students actually learning skills in university to work in the industry.
        No I'm talking about the aeropace industry as a whole.
        It's not too hard too look it up and find I'm right

Also what about the pharmaceutical and life sciences industry. Biggest in Europe if I'm not mistaken.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Some say the fiasco in the eurozone is a planned attempt to create the USofE.

Even if it happened I expect the UK to be outside, as we'd probably need to go with the Euro to be allowed in.

Might not be a bad thing (the UK being outside the USofE) if we can close our borders more consistently, and not just when brits try to bring back fags and booze from the EU.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Also what about the pharmaceutical and life sciences industry. Biggest in Europe if I'm not mistaken.
            Flippin' heck! I actually found myself nodding in agreement with Sas!

And that doesn't happen too often
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Flippin' heck! I actually found myself nodding in agreement with Sas!

And that doesn't happen too often
              Happens to the best of us, eventually
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ah you mean this blurb written by the UK government:

Aerospace is one of the UK's highest value adding manufacturing sectors. The UK is home to Europe's largest aerospace industry and the second largest, after the USA, in the world.
                In 2009, the aerospace sector generated turnover of some £22 billion and new orders of £32 billion. The UK offers one of the world’s most innovative and productive locations with R&D investment of around £1.7 billion in 2009.
                The aerospace sector is one of the UK’s largest exporting industries, with exports accounting for 70% of the sector’s total sales in 2009.
                but then again:

International comparisons of turnover in aerospace industries are difficult to measure
                accurately, due to difficulties in defining the boundaries of the industry, exchange rates and
                assigning turnover to nations in such an international sector.
                and:

The two main European aerospace industries (in the UK and France) are of roughly
                similar size in terms of turnover.
                Although EADS has the highest turnover which is in fact a Dutch company. I quite honestly believe you but of all the companies competing in the British aerospace industry, how many are actually outright owned by a British company. declare their profits there and pay _all_ their taxes there?
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I quite honestly believe you but of all the companies competing in the British aerospace industry, how many are actually outright owned by a British company. declare their profits there and pay _all_ their taxes there?
                  Rolls Royce jet engines
                  BAe
                  GKN
                  Cobham
                  Qinetiq
                  Britten-Norman
                  Reaction Engines
                  Shorts

are just a few ...

Plus all the joint- ventures with various US/Euro companies. Sorry but the aerospace industry is in rude health.

Shall we move on to Pharma. With Europe's (especially Germany's) population in a demographic time-bomb - this will produce even more money going forward.
                  2 of the top 5 pharma companies in the world are British (GSK and AZ).
                  And Britain is the most innovative country in life sciences (test tube baby, cloning, stem cell research ....).
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

The UK is just the right size to compete. Big enough to have resources, small enough to be relatively agile.

Comment

Lets not forget financial services. Britain is the world leader in the Insurance and Brokerage businesses, without which nothing could happen in manufacturing.

So all in all, while the British economy has many areas of weakness, it also has world class centres of excellence.

I hope this answers the rather ignorant and naive question asked by PooperScooper.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X