• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very short term accommodation - back of van?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Assumption: You are attractive enough to warrant a bonk on the first date

Nope.

Otherwise I'd charm my way in with the receptionist when I arrived on site.

Seen a contractor do that, though not for accommodation purposes. His chat up line was "hmmm, you look nice" when he turned up. He was boinking her within the week, much to the displeasure of other blokes on site who had been trying to get into her for ages.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      After being told of possible work and its location and before I ever sign the contract I always have a look at cost/time to get to clients site either via rail or skyscanner websites and rough hotel prices according to hotels.com or booking.com.

This then gets added to my usual daily rate based upon contract length and forms part of the negotiations of rate, hours expected onsite/working from home possibility etc. and also gives me a rough idea of when I can be onsite i.e arrive around 10 mondays, leave 3pm fridays etc.

Far too organised and sensible for me. Some people live in chaos, others create it.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

If the OP is that desperate, why not see if a permie wants £50/night for their spare room. You might even make a friend.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

a Stealth Campervan, essentially a campervan complete with shower, heating, solar panels bed, tv, kitchen and sofa in a large flat bed transit..

1st blog entry from 2007

then skip forward to 21st july 2010 to see complete inside

he even has a small 50cc moped to drive around in that fits in the back !!
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            a Stealth Campervan, essentially a campervan complete with shower, heating, solar panels bed, tv, kitchen and sofa in a large flat bed transit..

1st blog entry from 2007

then skip forward to 21st july 2010 to see complete inside

he even has a small 50cc moped to drive around in that fits in the back !!
            On a point of order, that isn't a Transit, or a flat bed.

Comment

A few years back, my wife had a meet-up with old university friends in Oxford, while I was working in London.

I caught the train up, we camped in our campervan for the weekend, show on-site and then headed back to work on the Monday. Did get some strange looks wearing a suit as we were leaving the campsite, though

If it was a quick overnight, then I'd probably do the same thing in the new(er) van. Particularly since this one is fully winterised and has heating. Sleeping on or very near the bare metal in a standard, non-converted van is going to be cold at this time of the year!
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                Dunno yet. Client contacted me as I've done work for them before. Contract terms yet to be negotiated, though they know working from home is my preferred MO.
                So, get negotiating, rather than working out whether you can sleep in a car for the week. Get it included either in your daily rate (and be quids in when working from home) or have a cheaper rate plus expenses (which gives them the incentive to have you working from home more often).
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  A few years back, my wife had a meet-up with old university friends in Oxford, while I was working in London.

I caught the train up, we camped in our campervan for the weekend, show on-site and then headed back to work on the Monday. Did get some strange looks wearing a suit as we were leaving the campsite, though

If it was a quick overnight, then I'd probably do the same thing in the new(er) van. Particularly since this one is fully winterised and has heating. Sleeping on or very near the bare metal in a standard, non-converted van is going to be cold at this time of the year!
                  Not if he shacks up with "Tess of the Dormobiles!"

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    On a point of order, that isn't a Transit, or a flat bed.
                    I think chef is too posh to know or care about the difference
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

I once slept in the middle of a roundabout, but I was pretty wasted.
                      There's a roundabout just outside Bracknell with a pub and a couple of houses in it, like a little oasis of tranquility surrounded by (sorry - no time to finish, being called to a boring meeting )
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X