• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I hate running on pavements, but an uneven surface sounds worse... apart from risk of falling over yor legs will be getting unexpected stresses from all kinds of angles.

I wonder if running on a beach is considered good for the joints - it's certainly bloody hard work if the sand is soft! Wonder if hard sand or soft sand is better.
    So that's the other option I've got is sand. You see people running on beaches all the time. How does that compare.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

interval training will get you better results with less time spent running.
      15 minutes of high intensity intervals is about the same as an hour of normal running.
      its worked for me

And go to a proper running shop for your trainers Up and Running have a treadmill in the shop to let you try the trainers and they'll video your feet whilst you run to help you find the best pair
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Last week I took up running. I hate running. Always hated running. I prefer cycling. But as cycling was giving my shoulder injury grief I thought running would be better.

So I've been doing 35 minutes each evening around a number of fields in the area but my knees are now killing.

Is this the best way to do it? ie. Fields. Or would be running on the pavement be better or would getting a running machine / gym be better. Plus do I need to get knee protectors or stuff?
        No one cares.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          interval training will get you better results with less time spent running.
          15 minutes of high intensity intervals is about the same as an hour of normal running.
          its worked for me

And go to a proper running shop for your trainers Up and Running have a treadmill in the shop to let you try the trainers and they'll video your feet whilst you run to help you find the best pair
          Interval training is great, but it's best to have a basic level of fitness first as you'll be pushing your heart quite fast; also, if Lardymullet's got problems with his knees now, he might not be strong enough for the fast bits.

Perhaps a good idea to start some strength training for the legs to strengthen the muscles above and around the knees.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Stay away from running. Do low impact exercise only.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              Stay away from running. Do low impact exercise only.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Interval training is great, but it's best to have a basic level of fitness first as you'll be pushing your heart quite fast; also, if Lardymullet's got problems with his knees now, he might not be strong enough for the fast bits.

Perhaps a good idea to start some strength training for the legs to strengthen the muscles above and around the knees.
                Probably also worthwhile getting a trainer for a few sessions at least. Not sure abot needing the basic level of fitness first though. I just went straight into it and slowly built up my sprint speeds over a few weeks. The need to vomit also decreased at the weeks went by

My running form was crap though - good enough for jogging but bad for any sort of speed/power
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

I reckon you're just over doing it, do ten minutes a day to start with. You need to build up your knee muscles. Certainly a good pair of trainers helps.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Last week I took up running. I hate running.
                    Running ... I'll tell you what I know about running.

Running is a form of bipedal locomotion that employs ballistic flight phases to obtain high speed.

(25 years ago, in the maths library of my university, in a robotics magazine, I saw that as the caption for a photo of a robot that was being programmed to "run." It's always stuck in my mind.)

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Probably also worthwhile getting a trainer for a few sessions at least. Not sure abot needing the basic level of fitness first though. I just went straight into it and slowly built up my sprint speeds over a few weeks. The need to vomit also decreased at the weeks went by

My running form was crap though - good enough for jogging but bad for any sort of speed/power
                      If you want to start vomiting again, try this;

Jingle Jangles | FitnessNews | Rugby News

Serious,

I'm the opposite to you; I hate jogging but am quick over about 30 to 40 yards. I don't do any distance running at all as I'm 16 stone and my knees are nearly 40, so distance work is on the bike or the rower.
                      Last edited by Mich the Tester; 19 October 2011, 12:17.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X