• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Appointing new company secretary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appointing new company secretary?

Hi,

My partner passed away recently after having been my Company Secretary for 10 years. I am a one man limited company, the sole director and my partner was the Company Secretary.

I now have to appoint a new Company Secretary and I want to know if anyone knows if I can be both the sole Director and the Company Secretary - it has been a long time since I set up my company and I knew back then you had to have two people in a limited company so... any advice, ideas? Btw, I have no other relatives.

Please, no abuse as this is a very raw moment in my life - just constructive comments and advice please.

Thank you.

ask an accountant

Milan.

Comment

As far as I know, you can't be the Company Secretary.

http://www.winters.co.uk/factsheets/company_sec.html

As Milan says, you should get an accountant to confirm this.

Comment

Thanks - I dropped an email to my accountant this morning, awaiting his reply but you have pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

Comment

Some accountants offer a company secretary service (for a fee).

However, I believe the DTI are planning to abolish the need for a company secretary in the Company Law Reform Bill:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/cld/Comp_Law_Reform_bookmark.pdf

Not sure when this is coming in though, or indeed if it will include the abolition of company secretaries.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
          X