• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One small step

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One small step

I am currently a permie (28k) with 2+ years in .net (c#/asp.net/sql server) v1&2 and in my current work place half of the developers are contractors clearly earning shed loads more than me. Unsurprisingly I am considering moving to contracting maybe at the end of this year and was wondering if with 2/3 years experience is enough to become a contractor?

Thanks
    M
    Last edited by markmm; 22 April 2006, 19:58.

If you've got to ask...... Then no it's not.

If you don't have to ask...... Then yes it is.
    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Im not asking, im wondering.

Comment

in that case, why stick a question mark at the end of your final sentence? but wc2 is largely correct. 2+ years **ought** to be reasonably sufficient exposure to a technology to support contracting but it largely depends on the extent and depth of that exposure and also, your own mindset. are you sufficiently confident in your own abilities to take responsibility for your own work?

Comment

Originally posted by markmm
          I am currently a permie (28k) with 2+ years in .net (c#/asp.net/sql server) v1&2 and in my current work place half of the developers are contractors clearly earning shed loads more than me. Unsurprisingly I am considering moving to contracting maybe at the end of this year and was wondering if with 2/3 years experience is enough to become a contractor?
          It would be, if you have a time machine and you can go back to 1999. However, assuming your company is set in the past, the asnwer is simple. Are you as good as the contractors "clearly earning shed loads more than you"? If yes, that might mean that you are ready. If you need their help every day, it shows that you are not ready. Do not expect any help as a contractor, you must be perfectly capable of doing what you have been hired for. However, I feel that your skillset is still rather poor. Normally, contractors don't have only one core skill but can add different ones so that they can be more self sufficient in their own work. Besides, are you sure those contractors are earning a lot more than you? Do you know how to compare a contractor rate to a permie salary? From the level of questions you are asking it looks like you need to have a broader view of what is contracting about. It's not just a way of making more money.*

* I now expect a lot of silly remarks and jokes about this
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Thanks for all your kind responses, I understand your point about my view of contracting being all about the money, I should have mentioned I enjoy software development and am aware of the pros and cons of contracting. Also I am very confident that my skills are strong. I was just wondering if there was some minimum experience level for contracting.

Comment

At my last permie place I got cheesed off with contractors earning more than twice as much as me, and being treated with more respect. I knew they were no more capable than me, but I was talked down to by the management. So I left.

I think in some jobs management like to talk up the abilities of contractors.

There's a lot of traits needed to contract. You need reasonable technical proficiency, though I've seen contractors whose skills are nothing to talk about. You need the ability to get on with work, in a professional manner, and to take responsibility for it. That means producing code that works, and delivering it on time. And documenting it if that is required. You also need to help permies, and generally fit in, and make yourself useful. You can't let your ego stand out, and most contractors do as they are told. That said, I find I am treated with respect, and allowed considerable freedom.

You also need to realise that you might be between contracts for extended periods unless you have skills that are in demand. I do okay, but I am lucky. I've known equally capable people less lucky then me.

A colleague went contracting after 3 years. He does not seem particularly bright or knowledgeable, but he has the right attitude, knows how to learn skills, and does a very good job. In practice he has a lot of gumption, and is very good at blagging. He's also good at learning stuff as and when he needs it.

I'm sure you have an idea of how good your work is compared to the contractors. 2 years does not sound long though, especially in database work, which requires lots of experience unless I am mistaken. Can you take responsibility for large parts of a project, and deliver on time, or do you do bits and pieces? Do you have design skills?

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
                Just remember, it's not always technical expertise that gets you the work. You need professionalism, an ability to understand people rather than just write code and the right personality for people to respect you and take you seriously (at least until they've handed the cash over). Then you actually have to be able to do the job at hand.

If you're a typical geek recluse, then forget it.
                I am definitely not the stereotypical geek, my people skills are good, however some of the contractors I have met are of this ilk.

Comment

Originally posted by cswd

If you're a typical geek recluse, then forget it.
                  I agree with most of your points. But I'm not sure about that last one. The contractor next to me is anti-social, scruffy and smells due to not washing and/or changing his clothes. I suspect some management think "Oooh, what's that smell. Oh, must be a computer whizz kid. We'll employ him".

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
                    At my last permie place I got cheesed off with contractors earning more than twice as much as me, and being treated with more respect. I knew they were no more capable than me, but I was talked down to by the management. So I left.

I think in some jobs management like to talk up the abilities of contractors.

There's a lot of traits needed to contract. You need reasonable technical proficiency, though I've seen contractors whose skills are nothing to talk about. You need the ability to get on with work, in a professional manner, and to take responsibility for it. That means producing code that works, and delivering it on time. And documenting it if that is required. You also need to help permies, and generally fit in, and make yourself useful. You can't let your ego stand out, and most contractors do as they are told. That said, I find I am treated with respect, and allowed considerable freedom.

You also need to realise that you might be between contracts for extended periods unless you have skills that are in demand. I do okay, but I am lucky. I've known equally capable people less lucky then me.

A colleague went contracting after 3 years. He does not seem particularly bright or knowledgeable, but he has the right attitude, knows how to learn skills, and does a very good job. In practice he has a lot of gumption, and is very good at blagging. He's also good at learning stuff as and when he needs it.

I'm sure you have an idea of how good your work is compared to the contractors. 2 years does not sound long though, especially in database work, which requires lots of experience unless I am mistaken. Can you take responsibility for large parts of a project, and deliver on time, or do you do bits and pieces? Do you have design skills?
                    Every trait you describe to be a contractor, i have ,I work extremely hard, work on my own initiative, learn stuff as I need it, assume responsibility for my work. My SQL could be stronger though, I wont be looking at contracting for at least 6 months, was wanting to investigate that option.

Comment

Working...
                    X