• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You know all that Pink Floyd stuff you bought on vinyl, CD, cassette & whatever?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Like this?
    Stylus
    £36. Can anyone remember what price the originals were?

My gf broke my stylus in the late 1970s and didn't dare tell me. She went to the posh hifi shop for a replacement and they fleeced her for £15. In Comet they were something like £7.

Unless you are a complete audio junky you can't tell the difference between the high quality digital media these days.
    I ducked out of the high end audio game years ago when I realised that a mate spent more time listening for faults than enjoying the music. Keeping a car on the road and buying my first house did the rest.

Got all my music on a NAS now, playable on PC, PS3, laptops over wireless network anywhere in the house, or the world for that matter, although I haven't actually tried the cloud connectivity yet.
    I had been disappointed by the quality of some CDs anyway.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      £36. Can anyone remember what price the originals were?

My gf broke my stylus in the late 1970s and didn't dare tell me. She went to the posh hifi shop for a replacement and they fleeced her for £15. In Comet they were something like £7.

I ducked out of the high end audio game years ago when I realised that a mate spent more time listening for faults than enjoying the music. Keeping a car on the road and buying my first house did the rest.

I had been disappointed by the quality of some CDs anyway.
      Do "Peter, Paul & Mary" sound better on the original 8-track then?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        They don't make many of them these days.

Trying to get a new stylus for a Shure V15 III is like trying to find hen's teeth.

And it would be about £100 or so if you could.
        HMV Oxford Street in the 60s - more pics here

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I wonder if anyone's come up with a way of copying LPs using a molding process, as a way of preserving them in a duplicate form that can be played on the same equipment?

If some LPs are so valuable and rare maybe there's a market for it, targetting the rich or audiophile.
          Monday Links XXXIV is your friend: How Vinyl Records Are Made-And How to Pirate (Copy) A Vinyl Record

Comment

The flying pig appears in the MoD's UFO reports, it seems: Watch Out – there’s a flying pig about!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Whats a cassette?
              it's a thing you stick a pencil in to sort out the chewed up tape HTH
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Wooohooo! I can now create limited edition coloured 'vinyl' copies of rare records and make a killing on ebay.

Even better. I'll copy that idea someone had on here for different colours at different depths (originally applying to tyres to tell when they're worn to near illegal levels) then flog them to audiophiles worried about when the records may wear out, so they can buy a replacement.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                X