• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancel holiday? I dont think so

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    In my experience it's mainly permies being pressured to show "loyalty" to a company that wouldn't hesitate to throw them into a skip 10 seconds after their Bob replacement signed on in Bangalore.
    Yep. I worked with a fella once - we were good mates and worked at few places together.

He did the same. Cancelled holiday and was convinced that because of this he'd be OK and the Director of the company (who'd talked him into it) would see him right long term.

Ended up shafted like me. Company didnt even bother doing redundancy properly they just decided who was going, trumped up a few customer complaints about each person they decided was going, then told them sign compromise agreement or get suspended from work. Wasnt worth fighting and they knew it.

My mate went looking for this Director to see him right after this, but, funnily enough, he was nowhere to be found so mate got the boot same as rest of us.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I once had a problem a PM who had eight weeks advance notification of a holiday request, sat on it for three then invited me into an office to "discuss my request"

My opening sentence was that I had by now already booked the holiday flight and hotel as I understood no challenge to equate to approval; and the only options remaining are that I could now serve notice and leave and take my holiday, or he could approve and I would return.

He had a look of a rabbit caught in headlights and could only agree to my request

One of the reasons for being a Contractor is being able to control your own destiny

If you don't like something be prepared to walk.

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I don't think I'd cancel - more to fear from the wife than my job. Jobserve is available wherever you are! Would they show the same loyalty to you if the boot was on the other foot?
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
        X