• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contract: Sydney vs London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're better off in London

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by RobertLondon View Post
      I'm currently working on a contract in london so know how good it is here

I've looked at some recent reports of the economy and cost of living in Sydney and it would appear I would be financially worse off over there compared to here in London. However, do I really want to spend another cold raining winter over here again
      I spent 3 weeks last November in Sydney. It chucked down most days and I was wishing I'd packed a jumper.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertLondon View Post
        I'm currently working on a contract in london so know how good it is here

I've looked at some recent reports of the economy and cost of living in Sydney and it would appear I would be financially worse off over there compared to here in London. However, do I really want to spend another cold raining winter over here again
        An ex.colleague recently tried to persuade me to go for a gig in Sydney and with winter looming I was very tempted. The position was not a good enough match for my skillset, otherwise I'd be off like a shot.

When you live in an expensive spot, you can afford to take a certain hit on the rate.

and the thought of those bikini clad Oz birds does appeal
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working holiday in the sun is becoming more and more tempting by the day! What is the best job board to use for gigs in oz? I'm currently searching on Jobserve but there inst a great deal on there and other sites I've tried off google seem quite minor.

Comment

Sydney is a cultural desert full to the rafters with thick Ossies. I wouldn't bother, you'll be bored after a week.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Sydney is a cultural desert full to the rafters with thick Ossies. I wouldn't bother, you'll be bored after a week.
              I prefer a cultural dessert, such as Tiramisu.

Comment

I was telling someone the other day what a basket case Sydney is on cultural levels, I went down to the art museum filled with aboriginal thumb paintings.

At least in Glasgow I am 1 mile away from a Rembrandt self portrait, Dali, Turner, Monet.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I was telling someone the other day what a basket case Sydney is on cultural levels, I went down to the art museum filled with aboriginal thumb paintings.

At least in Glasgow I am 1 mile away from a Rembrandt self portrait, Dali, Turner, Monet.
                  And you can go and see the Burrells at the Burrell Collection....

Comment

Rates in Sydney - from a contracting Brit who lives in Sydney

Rates in Sydney are higher than London. Take it from me, I am obsessed with monitoring this situation. Also, it's gonna get better (for Brits earning AUD) for a while more due to US/UK interest rates being very low for another couple of years at least.

I work in the development space and know a lot of contractrors. Rates are roughly 1.5 times London rates now in my opinion, due to the exchange rate mainly.

The cost of living is roughly the same, unless you want to live the high life - ie. I eat out maybe once a week so the Sydney lifestyle premium does not hit me hard. I spend about 200-300 quid per week here and I live pretty well. Rent costs me about 700 quid per month for a share that is 20 minutes from (centrally located) work.

I can only speak for myself when I say there is plenty of work here - in the development / banking space.

* Temporary residents like yourself get LAHFA - this reduces your tax a lot. I was paying 20% total deductions when I was getting this. Stay on a 457 visa as long as you can to keep this going.
                    Last edited by aussielong; 20 September 2011, 23:58.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Australia has come on a long way over the last twenty years, even over the last ten years.

They are a bit nouveaux riche with it, which can be annoying, but if you don't have any responsibilities it is well worth the experience, even if it is not forever.

People that move over there from England to do mundane permie jobs find that it is too expensive to live there now, but if you are an IT Contractor those problems will not be yours.

Having said that, I am now working with a Pommie contractor who lived in Sydney for one year and found the day-to-day life too difficult. She finds New Zealand a lot easier to live in, even though she is getting a lot less money.

EDIT: I should have mentioned - www.seek.com.au is probably the most like jobswerve used to be for looking for roles.
                      Last edited by Gonzo; 21 September 2011, 08:12. Reason: Should have put the link in first time

Comment

Working...
                      X