• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did you consciously become a contractor or fall into it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for you Trace, most people can't face the uncertainty, especially after that long perm. Sounds like you would have done ok going contracting many moons ago....

Comment

Quite a good question from MF there - who's stole his log-in?
      I fell into it, when I couldn't get interviews for permie roles anymore, so ended up taking contract roles. Still wouldn't turn down a decent permie opportunity, as I hate bench time. There again, at least you get variety with contracting. I don't know how the permies have stuck it for years at my current client - conditions are nice, but the work is so tedious...
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I suppose I'm a slow learner. 19.5 years at one employer and 10 years at the next one. Then I realised I was being an idiot and went contract, never looked back. First contract lasted ~18 months and set me up for long term contracting. Should have done it 25 years earlier but I didn't have the bottle. I'm never going staff again.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          I'm never going staff again.
          Me neither. Only been perm once, about 10 years ago. Yucky.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I was under consultation when my company were merging with another 6 years ago. As there were two of us doing similar jobs, obviously they only needed one, which turned out not to be me.
            At the time I'd been to 8 different permie interviews and got nowhere, so when they actually gave me notice (and £20k) I landed a contract whilst on gardening leave.
            So I thought I'd rather carry on in this line, thanks.

Comment

Fell into it.

I got burned by office politics after 4 years of slavish permiedom, I told the manager to go **** himself, stormed out of his office slamming the door in his face, went back to my desk, told my oppo that "I'm outta here" and started to empty my desk.

At that exact second the phone rang and an agent said "have you ever thought of going contract?". Job done.

It was fate I tell's ye.

I still like a good flounce every now and then.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Always knew I would do it it but the moment of it happening was quite by accident. 5 years permie and now nearly 10 years contracting.

Comment

Fell into it after a year out and plan B not quite working out.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                  X