• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poisoned chalice project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Please advise on

a) How to force people to attend workshops and contribute.
    b) How to insert another 2 weeks into the plan without any of the dates slipping.

Two options gently or with Force. If anyone know of a better solution love to hear it. I have however found fluttering my eyelashes doesn't work. Our harassment at work policy forbids me offering sexual favours.

1. Find out what they want from the project (watercooler project management) and tell them what they need to do and agree when, email a summary because of your lousy memory. If that gets no results move to 2.

2. Document the invite,Send repeatedly with clear indication of the penalties to the project of non attendance. Pop in your weekly report to stakeholders the non attendance as a risk.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Have a proper project kick-off meeting just before lunchtime and then head off down the pub.

Comment

The BA is a fellow CUKer

Do tell more

Comment

Actually this was quite interesting

Influencing Project Stakeholders | Project Stakeholder Management
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The BA is a fellow CUKer

Do they know who you are on the board?

Do you know their name on the board?

Or was it just a passing comment that he frequented the site.

Keep your mouth shut, and just say you're some respectable, like... Oh I don't know... Cojak.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I think I may have failed to convey how hopeless this situation is.

If there is no time to define the specs in any detail, and no one wants to contribute then the only option is to deliver a pile of crap that no one will use.

I'm just not comfortable with this as I have standards.

Why do people on here say that I am looking for the perfect project? No such thing exists, but there are vaguely achievable projects and one of those was what I was sold at interview. The reality is far from what I was sold.

I think the balls out responses on here are not fully understanding that nothing can be done other than wait to fail, even if weekends were worked.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

If there is no time to define the specs in any detail, and no one wants to contribute then the only option is to deliver a pile of crap that no one will use.

Why do people on here say that I am looking for the perfect project? No such thing exists, but there are vaguely achievable projects and one of those was what I was sold at interview. The reality is far from what I was sold.

I think the balls out responses on here are not fully understanding that nothing can be done other than wait to fail, even if weekends were worked.
                ...at 200% pay I hope.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I think it's about presence / charisma - very difficult to master.

Some people walk into an office, exuding confidence and control, talk to everyone and get them onside and immediately have influence. (These people are often also bulltulipters, but occasionally you get one who's got both charisma and know-how - they're the one's the DO deserve their rate)

Others shuffle in and moan about what's wrong, but aren't able actually take control and put it right. (I'm a shuffler, so nothing personal intended)

Don't know how you master the charisma thing, and guess if you've already shown yourself to be a shuffler it's too late.

Perhaps a sharp suit, firm handshake and line of charlie would do the trick...

Comment

Ok, if you're serious about it being complete ratsh!t give them my number, I'll be there at 09:00 on Monday to sort this out.

I promise I won't piss on your shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Ok, if you're serious about it being complete ratsh!t give them my number, I'll be there at 09:00 on Monday to sort this out.

I promise I won't piss on your shoes again .
                      ftfy

Comment

Working...
                      X