• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of buying this Jag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I hate all these model numbers, X-type, S-type, XS-type, etc, etc (not sure if the last exists). They all sound the same.

I can never remember the model of my Jag, which is rather embarrassing when a garage asks for it on the phone.
    If you like the look of the car arrange a test-drive.

If you like it, can afford it and think you can live with it, buy it!

Who gives a sh!t what others think?

Not one person has thus far said "I've got/had one, it's a shed, nothing but trouble, don't go near it with someone elses barge-pole".

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      Mondeos are very underrated by the way. They are like Ronseal, does what it says on the can.
      WLS. Excellent cars, excellent value for money. Not flash, no badge prestige but does exactly what it claims to do. Which is to be comfortable, affordable, reliable family saloon with enough room to take 5 people and a shed load of luggage in reasonable comfort. Doesn't look bad either.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

What Churchy says - why listen to all these pathetic sneering snobs with their ignorant Mondeo abuse. I had a Mondy of the type that this is based on - that was a great car and as it happens way more reliable than the Jaguar XJ (which is not based on any Ford model although the V6 petrol ones have a Ford based engine) I replaced it with.

These X-Types get a good write up from most owners - and buying an S-type just because it doesn't share many parts with a Mondeo isn't a good reason. Additionally, you'll be laughing if we have another cold winter, watching poor saps like me (and all the BMWs) with rear wheel drive sliding about all over the place.

The only drawbacks to these are:

The emissions and therefore road tax are quite high
        They are thirsty - the 2.5 is barely more economical than the 3.0 and the 3.0 litre has more oomph - hence the 2.5s tend to be cheaper
        The spark plugs on both the 2.5 and 3.0 need to have to inlet manifold removed to be changed on one bank of the V - it seems quite a few are going around with only one set having been changed.
        Some of the electrical stuff can be a bit random, but no worse than similar German cars.

If you want Ipod connectivity, you need the ACM moduel which was a dealer (or handy owner) fit option. Unlike contemporary Mondeos, there is no "aux in" in the glovebox on these.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
          Why do you think it's cheap? Parker's say's it about right...

Original Price £27,470
          Franchised dealer £4,840
          Independent £4,540
          Private £4,095

(prices for 50k miles)
          That’s about 50p per mile depreciation
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

True - but no worse than the equivalent BM once you add in all the extras instead of judging against list price.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              A big chunk of that will be the depreciation just for it being second hand. You can knock 10k off the value as soon as you drive it of the forecourt.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                These X-Types get a good write up from most owners - and buying an S-type just because it doesn't share many parts with a Mondeo isn't a good reason. Additionally, you'll be laughing if we have another cold winter, watching poor saps like me (and all the BMWs) with rear wheel drive sliding about all over the place.
                I've found that my e-class is actually quite easy to drive in wintry conditions as it's very forgiving; the back will eventually slide away if you push things but only very gradually and you can get it back under control. BMWs might be a bit more nervous though.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I've found that my e-class is actually quite easy to drive in wintry conditions as it's very forgiving; the back will eventually slide away if you push things but only very gradually and you can get it back under control. BMWs might be a bit more nervous though.
                  Try driving it in two foot of unlceared snow, which is what we had here and they didn't clear the roads of it for two weeks. Basically you won't be travelling anywhere without a proper 4x4 like a Land Rover.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Try driving it in two foot of unlceared snow, which is what we had here and they didn't clear the roads of it for two weeks. Basically you won't be travelling anywhere without a proper 4x4 like a Land Rover.
                    Mich said "wintry conditions". He didn't mention anything about "backward countries run by people who find weather confusing"
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      I know I'm a tester, but that would be taking it to extremes.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X