• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for Suity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights-wise, I got myself one of these:
    MJ-836 HA-III SSC-P7 2-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set (4*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Took 2 weeks to arrive, but it's the best damn bike light for the money out there. UK equivalents start at £300.
    Off-road it completely blinds people (seriously, like car lights, dip the beam if people are approaching) but you can see for 200yds.
    On-road you need to use the dimmer setting or you'll get stopped for dazzling motorists, but there's no way they'll fail to see you.

Fecking awesome. 3 hours on full beam, 6-7 dimmed.

For the rear I use a fibre flare. Very bright, very noticeable at most angles, with a std strobe on an Ortileb saddle bag, great waterproofing.
    Wiggle | Fibre Flare Ultimate Safety Rear Tail Light (Single) Rear Lights
    Ortlieb Waterproof Mudracer LED

Other than that not much really, a cateye wireless - don't spend the big bucks unless you're training for something serious...
    Wiggle | Cateye Strada Wireless Cycle Computer Cycle Computers

...and a carbon bottlecage in a fit of vanity (very little point, just shed some weight instead!).

In the saddle bag is a spare tube, a patch kit, levers, CO2 canisters & regulator, and I think that's it.

Comment

Proper shorts
      Mudguards
      A decent pump
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        Lights-wise, I got myself one of these:
        MJ-836 HA-III SSC-P7 2-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set (4*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Took 2 weeks to arrive, but it's the best damn bike light for the money out there. UK equivalents start at £300.
        Off-road it completely blinds people (seriously, like car lights, dip the beam if people are approaching) but you can see for 200yds.
        On-road you need to use the dimmer setting or you'll get stopped for dazzling motorists, but there's no way they'll fail to see you.

Fecking awesome. 3 hours on full beam, 6-7 dimmed.

For the rear I use a fibre flare. Very bright, very noticeable at most angles, with a std strobe on an Ortileb saddle bag, great waterproofing.
        Wiggle | Fibre Flare Ultimate Safety Rear Tail Light (Single) Rear Lights
        Ortlieb Waterproof Mudracer LED

Other than that not much really, a cateye wireless - don't spend the big bucks unless you're training for something serious...
        Wiggle | Cateye Strada Wireless Cycle Computer Cycle Computers

...and a carbon bottlecage in a fit of vanity (very little point, just shed some weight instead!).

In the saddle bag is a spare tube, a patch kit, levers, CO2 canisters & regulator, and I think that's it.

It's only a bike you big ponce!

You can tell the adults whose parents bought them choppers as kids.

What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          Suity Old Chap,

some drivel

Milan.
          Right, ok ,first things up, I need to explain the ride that didn't happen at the weekend that Clippy keeps (quite rightly) linking to.

My neighbour became the cycling fiend from hell, proper obsessive, and me being a bedwetter went along with his obsession not knowing how to say no.

L2B I struggled through. It hurt.
          L2S I was up for, and the fitness had kicked in and we were making some decent time. Neighbour got taken ill en route. I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dead keen to complete, and told him so, and SY02 told me to pull out, and that she was surprised that such a nice bloke as I would consider carrying on without him (this I attribute to my upbringing on here)
          I bailed accordingly.

The most recent ride he has not mentioned. Nor asked me to train for. And to be honest I'm not too bothered as I'd rather lose some weight before doing any distance again so I let it pass.

Hence the most recent race has passed us by.

Sneakily I intend to train all winter so when the L2B comes round again I will piss it. (Around 2-3 stone lighter)

This is my intention anyways.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            For you benesy, I'd recommend taking the plunge and getting stabilisers, a pink "My Little Pony" Helmet, and a wicker basket for the front so you can keep your handbag in it.

HTH

What about for the kids?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but get a decent helmet. you may look like a fool but it will save your life.

HTH

Comment

yeah that's a question

children have the hats of course, but I'm for a generation that never wore cycling hats so are they really necessary and does everyone else wear them and will I look silly ?

Milan.

Comment

yeah that's a question

children have the hats of course, but I'm for a generation that never wore cycling hats so are they really necessary and does everyone else wear them and will I look silly ?

Milan.
                  No more than normal.

well someone had to say it...

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

RH,

thanks for the tips re: lights and water bottle

but....

saddle bags !!!

ffs ?

you'll be saying I need a pannier next

Milan.

Comment

yeah that's a question

Milan.
                      So what would be your answer when one of the kids says that they don't want to wear their helmets ?

Lead by example.

Are they necessary ? Of course they are, one wrong fall and you could be in big trouble, is it worth the risk for a helmet.

Comment

Working...
                      X