• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for cooks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Well it is the Guardian FFS!

I like fishfingers, chicken flavoured Walkers crisps and a tiny amount of Heinz tomato ketchup in mine.

Yum!
    Hmmmmm, crisps you say. That might just work. I'm thinking "salt & vinegar", and probably McCoys.

Well, that's lunch sorted! Thanks Dim.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

If the meal is for someone you may not know all that well, check they actually like fish.

A mate's wife once said (at a restaurant) she doesn't like fish as she brings enough of her own to the table.

Put me right off my fish supper.

For fish dinners you can't beat fish, chips, peas, and gravy. Though that might be a northern thing.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Shouldn't we be asking you?

Originally posted by chef View Post
        Morning all,

I'm looking for ideas for an impressive, delicious Fish based main course recipe for this evening, any favourite recipes you care to share?
        Boiled smoked haddock

And while I'm asking, I'm terrible at deserts which usually revolve around homemade ice cream or choc mousse, any other ideas?
        Bread and butter pudding

Thanks in advance and apologies if this thread causes hunger.
        I am a bit peckich, having skipped breakfast as always. But only three hours to go until my free lunch in the clientco canteen.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Fish pie, add scallops and oysters for that luxury feel
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

In my experience, most fish/shellfish has a delicate flavour, easily obscured by rich or spicy sauces.

The three steps to successful fish cooking for me, are . . .

1. Buy it fresh
            2. Don't overcook it
            3. Keep it simple

HTH
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

You cannot go wrong with a cheesecake (a proper baked one). White chocolate & marscapone is a good one, esp with a bit of ginger.

Fish is best kept simple IMO. Raw with a bit of soy sauce for dipping and some wasabi
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Ah, now someone mentioned Raspberrries; Cranachan Cranachan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Make sure you're not cooking for this moron, or you may get a complaint that your fish dish smells fishy.

Tourist complains that fishing port 'smells fishy' - mirror.co.uk
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    You cannot go wrong with a cheesecake (a proper baked one). White chocolate & marscapone is a good one, esp with a bit of ginger.

Fish is best kept simple IMO. Raw with a bit of soy sauce for dipping and some wasabi
                    baked lemon and vanilla cheesecake:

Base:
                    15 digestive biscuits
                    80g butter
                    20g sugar
                    (crush buscuits, melt butter, add usgar and buscuits to melted butter, pat down in cake tin and cook for 10 mins at 200, ensure base is cold before you add cheese mix).

Top:
                    2 eggs
                    2 large packs philadelphia
                    1 pack creme fraiche
                    Juice and zest of 2-3 lemons (depends on how tart you like it)
                    1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod
                    100g caster sugar
                    85 g flour

Whisk all the topping ingredients together till combined, pour over the base and bake in an oven for 1.5 hours at 100. The mixture should have a slight wobble. check it after the hour mark as some ovens may cook it quicker.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                      Ah, now someone mentioned Raspberrries; Cranachan Cranachan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      Eton mess!

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X