• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If it was 5% would that seem like more or less than 5%? At what magic value does a number appear to be it's actual value?
    Here is how it works for top sites.

When was Google last down for you? I can't remember.

When was Twitter failing to run search due to overload? Yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      The clue is in "It's down half the time I try it".

Maybe just unlucky that it's down half the time he tries it. Should try it more often to get a better success rate.
      If it is down half the time he uses it he cannot work a browser and or connect to an ISP.

Like that old Doctor joke that the patient thinks his leg arm and head cause him pain when the he touches them but really it is the finger that is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Beyonce rubs her belly and gets 9000 posts a second.
        That's 1.4MB/sec, this can be cached aggressively given that only recent tweets are shown.

Twitter has got 1 bln tweets per week (source), that's 140 GB per week ... just over memory capacity of some of our servers that we use.

Technologically Twitter is tulip despite lots of money put in it, their business model does not exist and the only thing they succeeded in is being famous and popular.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Here is how it works for top sites.

When was Google last down for you? I can't remember.

When was Twitter failing to run search due to overload? Yesterday.
          Stop trying to deflect us from your idiocy. You said 10% seems like more than 10%. Would 1% seem like more than 1%?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Technologically Twitter is tulip despite lots of money put in it, their business model does not exist and the only thing they succeeded in is being famous and popular.
            Is that why you hold such a grudge - you're jealous?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

That's 1.4MB/sec, this can be cached aggressively given that only recent tweets are shown.

Twitter has got 1 bln tweets per week (source), that's 140 GB per week ... just over memory capacity of some of our servers that we use.

So you just told me that it was a read only DB which does 1 billion inserts a week.

This is fantastic.

Comment

Is that why you hold such a grudge - you're jealous?
                Definitely the way it looks to me.

Comment

You said 10% seems like more than 10%. Would 1% seem like more than 1%?
                  Almost certainly. People are very bad at judging this sort of thing accurately. That is why when looking at performance problems in IT systems it's a good idea to look at 90th percentile response times (i.e. the worst 10%) and not averages. That 10% of requests will be responsible for 99% of user dissatisfaction.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Stop trying to deflect us from your idiocy. You said 10% seems like more than 10%. Would 1% seem like more than 1%?
                    If there was a 1% chance that you were executed then I can assure you that you'd feel that you are in mortal danger and about to die.

Comment

Alexi has always mouthed off about his 1 billion links claim and how that is the highest publicised amount when other have publicised it for years. Greater amounts in fact.

Comment

Working...
                      X