• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New mattress required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
    I usually go to John Lewis and try them all out.
    That's how I have bought my current ones and they are very comfortable.

If you want to cut costs then buy a good second hand bed but always a good quality mattress that you have tried out before hand.

When you do try them out they should not be too soft or too hard with no gap between the mattress and your body when you lie down on your side.

From John Lewis you can get a good quality mattress with good quality springs and natural filling and cover with and solid corners that does not require turning over for about £500 upwards.

I would not listen to that DimPrawn character but go for the good quality spring type from a shop where you can try them out.

The only drawback that I have found in this approach is that after using a decent bed for a number of years I've found that I now when I stay away it has to be a decent hotel, overwise I just can't sleep due to the mattress being worse than the one at home.

There are three things that you should spend money on. The food that you eat, the shoes that you stand in and the bed that you sleep in.
    WHS

Highly recommend memory foam mattresses.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Nothing more valuable to invest your money in, than a good nights sleep.

I bought a Tempur matress and bed about 12 months ago (granted, with a little help from my flexible friend) - but it's the best £2500 that I've ever spent. After years of back trouble, it has all but disappeared. My neck is better, the wife sleeps better, and I even snore a little less. Honestly, there's no substitute for Tempur - they're the original and the best
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Get whatever one they use at CenterParcs, god those beds are comfy. Think they are some kind of Sealy, they were advertising them in the gaffs when I went.
        I got a different sealy model and while good, it wasn't the same standard...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          Get whatever one they use at CenterParcs, god those beds are comfy.
          Especially when they're infested with bed bugs and you wake up like a pin cushion

I won't be rushing back...
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Over here in sensible German land we went to a family owned/run shop with a huge choice of mattresses, no beds for sale only mattresses, the man made us both lie on the bed to look at our spine alignment and suggested 5 types of mattress at varying prices, we narrowed that down to 3 that we preferred and he then arranged for a test example of each mattress (covered in thin protection cover) to be delivered, 1 for 3 consecutive nights until all 3 were tried and then we returned to the shop a week or so later and made a purchase. He then ordered a new mattress of the one we had chosen. The best service I've ever had. try at home mattresses, the sensible way to purchase things, brought to you by Germany.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I find Sofitel hotels have excellent beds, even though they're otherwise boring 'bizinessy' hotels.
              Sofitel: a very comfortable bed, the SoBed concept
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Spent 2k on a memory foam bed. Just moved it from the main bedroom and swapped it with our old mattress from the spare.
                The trouble with memory mattresses is they soon develop a deeper and deeper you-shaped dent, which one rolls into. Like you, I'd sooner have a firm, amnesiac mattress.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  DP can't afford one either so this spat seems a bit of a non-event. Having £2500 and being able to "afford" that much on a mattress are different so on that basis, neither of you can afford one. Neither can I.
                  Another one that seems to know all about my financial circumstances

Comment

I would sooner spend £2.5k on a mattress than a car personally.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X