• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway middle lane hoggers ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It specifically states in my BMW owner's manual:- "If you are not in the outside lane barging everyone out of the way, pootling along in the middle lane is acceptable. Under no circumstances go to the inside lane - that's for lorries and coaches, and not superior German saloon cars."
    Sniff.

Comment

Only a fool breaks the two second rule

Interestingly, if everyone stuck to the 2 second rule, the same maximum amount of cars would pass a fixed point per unit time no matter what the speed limit*.

Reasoning: This rule relates to the time a car in front of you passed a fixed point minus the time that you pass that fixed point. Ergo, a car passes that fixed point every two seconds, maximum. At fast speeds, cars would be more spread out by distance than at slower speeds, but still separated by 2 seconds.

* Above a certain speed determined by the length of vehicle, e.g. a 4m car has to be travelling at at least 2 m/s (7 km/h) otherwise it would crash into the car in front This rule makes driving slowly quite crash prone, and a certainty below a certain speed.

Comment

Speed disparity is a big killer on motorways, especially when you have much slower traffic pulling out into much faster traffic.

They should make it illegal to do under a minimum speed of 65 in middle lane, and under 80 in outside lane, when not in congestion.

Truckers may complain about not being able to overtake, but they should have to use the hard shoulder (on roads offering only three normal lanes) if they can't maintain over 50.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Speed disparity is a big killer on motorways, especially when you have much slower traffic pulling out into much faster traffic.

Perhaps they should just ban doddery old farts like ShaunBhoy who lack the requisite mental acuity from motorways?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've never understood why they put a 50mph restriction in place when a lane is closed? I was always taught 'faster flow pressure low'.

∴ You should increase speed to maintain traffic flow Shirley?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Perhaps they should just ban doddery old farts like ShaunBhoy who lack the requisite mental acuity from motorways?
              As if a bloody Aygo is Gods gift to motoring
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

presumably if you are doing 70mph it shoudlnt matter which lane you are in

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                  As if a bloody Aygo is Gods gift to motoring
                  You really are very stupid indeed.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    I agree, and I do.

As you mention it, just what does the Highway Code say about maximum speed limits? You seem a little sketchier on that.

The law relating to construction of vehicles etc … stipulates that speedometers must over read by at least 3 mph. Some car I have driven indicate 70mph when in fact the speed is 65mph. This can easily be checked with a stop watch or GPS. Road traffic police cars have to be fitted with calibrated speedometers as do HGVs.

Old man in a flap cap and Mirca may think he is doing 68 mph in the middle lane but in fact he is doing 63mph!
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      I've never understood why they put a 50mph restriction in place when a lane is closed? I was always taught 'faster flow pressure low'.

∴ You should increase speed to maintain traffic flow Shirley?
                      its a safety thing

Actually, i've noticed in some places (noteably the lake district) they don't always bother dropping the speed when a single lane is coned off.
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X