• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The taxman cometh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Is it just me or is Osbourne starting to look more and more like our beloved Brown?
    No, why you think that?

Chances are this kind of work started long time ago under Brown but it certainly looks like success.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      No, why you think that?

Chances are this kind of work started long time ago under Brown but it certainly looks like success.
      They just gave the UK the same deal they gave the Americans.

All they have done is implement standard banking practice of paying withholding tax on interest to the government.

The only difference here is the government is UK and USA.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        They just gave the UK the same deal they gave the Americans.

All they have done is implement standard banking practice of paying withholding tax on interest to the government.

The only difference here is the government is UK and USA.
        So Switzerland's still a safe place to protect money from predatory lawsuits?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          So Switzerland's still a safe place to protect money from predatory lawsuits?

Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            Well as I understood it from a little Swiss chappy there are quite a few people who are scared of someday being sued, such as American doctors, wealthy people who do 'advice' work, and they stick their money in Swiss bank accounts to keep a nest egg should they suffer some ridiculous court case and have to pay silly compensation sums.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This whole dismantling of Swiss banking secrecy laws started in the late 90s (when I happened to be be working at SBC in Basle) with the Nazi gold thing.
              Germany have the same deal.
              It's non news.

HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

BTW did you know the basements of many Swiss companies are stuffed to the rafters with field guns, since every person and corporation has to contribute to defence.
                I recall negotiating the howitzers and other artillery on my way to the server room.
                And couldn't really believe my eyes when several Swiss off a training exercise, dumped their guns behind the pub counter before having a few beers. Although that was not in town.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

And don't look too closely at their bridge and tunnel supports....
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    I recall negotiating the howitzers and other artillery on my way to the server room.
                    Can't have been easy carrying that mop and bucket.

And couldn't really believe my eyes when several Swiss off a training exercise, dumped their guns behind the pub counter before having a few beers
                    I suppose you imagined they carried penknifes and armour-piercing Toblerones did you?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

BTW did you know the basements of many Swiss companies are stuffed to the rafters with field guns, since every person and corporation has to contribute to defence.
                      And couldn't really believe my eyes when several Swiss off a training exercise, dumped their guns behind the pub counter before having a few beers. Although that was not in town.
                      Try working in Israel...

Comment

Working...
                      X