• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So just back from a week in North Rhine Westphalia ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Really? Köln closely followed by Düsseldorf and Dortmund have the best nightlife (eating, drinking, dancing, etc.) in Germany. They beat Berlin and München in a recent survey so maybe you were in the wrong place with the wrong people.
    You need to extract your head from your arse.
    I live in London. Why would I look for nightlife in Germany FFS?
    No, Germany is good for other things: the Rhine Gorge is amazing, German wines (and of course beer) are very good if you know your stuff and similarly some (but not all) German food.
    But to be honest, not much in the way of culture or interesting monuments - so that makes a relaxing few days abroad since you don't have the pressure to go and sight-see.
    Last edited by sasguru; 16 August 2011, 07:28.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      Jesus Christ, this is what you do on holiday? What a fecking loser!
      I refer the ignorant twat to my previous post.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I refer the ignorant twat to my previous post.
        Shouldn't that say 'honourable person'???

Oh no it was Russell. I stand corrected.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

... with my old friend X von Y who's in the German diplomatic service. While there we drank several bottles of good Reisling and Mosel from his cellar and generally mused on the state of the world.
          After which I called him a cretin.

While I was on holiday in Ibiza I was speaking to a French aircraft engineer, discussing the Airfrance aircraft disaster, Concorde, the New New Zealander bloke who recently got minced by an aircraft prop while testing an engine etc. But mainly I was laughing at the way he casually used ancient imperial units like pounds force, what with him being French the race who came up with a decent set of weights and measures 200 years ago who is now using some ancient American bastardised Roman system in high tech engineering. Oh, we do also sometimes use Newtons he said

Comment

You need to extract your head from your arse.
            I live in London. Why would I look for nightlife in Germany FFS?
            No, Germany is good for other things: the Rhine Gorge is amazing, German wines (and of course beer) are very good if you know your stuff and similarly some (but not all) German food.
            But to be honest, not much in the way of culture or interesting monuments - so that makes a relaxing few days abroad since you don't have the pressure to go and sight-see.
            Trouble is the Rhine Gorge isn't in Westfalia. Trouble is, there is a lot of culture in Germany but you probably can't see it. Trouble is, isn't nightlife in London getting beaten up in a pub by idiots which is staffed by non-UK persons

Well to be honest Westphalia is so dull there's nothing to do. You need to have intersting friends to enjoy it.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Bit mean. Well known fact that Germans don't have a sense of humour either.

Like Sas.
              Now thats not true.

Here is a joke which was doing the rounds in Berlin's bomb shelters in December 1944 -

Be practical this Christmas - give a coffin.

During my stint in the FatherLand, I found that Germans do in fact have a rather subtle sesne of humour - and can laugh at the themselves .

Comment

Trouble is the Rhine Gorge isn't in Westfalia. Trouble is, there is a lot of culture in Germany but you probably can't see it. Trouble is, isn't nightlife in London getting beaten up in a pub by idiots which is staffed by non-UK persons
                What about Hamburg ?? - I really liked the night life there.

Yees London Night life sucks nowadays.

Comment

Trouble is the Rhine Gorge isn't in Westfalia.
                  Close enough. Spent 2 days in a hotel there before Bonn.

Trouble is, there is a lot of culture in Germany but you probably can't see it.
                  Possibly. My Bonnite friend says no though. He regularly comes to London for the theatre.

Trouble is, isn't nightlife in London getting beaten up in a pub by idiots which is staffed by non-UK persons
                  No. HTH.
                  And even if was it would be better than going to a German "disco".
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                    Yees London Night life sucks nowadays.
                    Really? all of it?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                      What about Hamburg ?? - I really liked the night life there.
                      Kiez is as usual but most other places are suffering. Sternchanze is probably the best place to head for if you can't be arsed with the hassle of stag parties and people who've been on it all day. Local bars are v quiet mid week nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                      X