• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank of England Governor Sir Mervyn King to issue seventh inflation apology in a row

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That would depend on time period. Is it now? Is it 5 years ago? Is it 1997 when he joined "independent" monetary policy committe? Is it 1948 when he was born?

Be more specific and I might just grace you with the answer worth remembering.
    OK, since you ask let's go back to when UK had the chance to join the euro. It is well documented on here that you would have joined it.

The result of that would have meant that, not only would you have had no control over interest rates, but you would also be paying a lot more to bail out the eurozone. I might be wrong but I'd say that's a fail.

So what about now? What levers would you pull that Mervyn King hasn't?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Just wait until 20-30% payraises demanded by unions

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        OK, since you ask let's go back to when UK had the chance to join the euro. It is well documented on here that you would have joined it.
        Yes I would have.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        The result of that would have meant that, not only would you have had no control over interest rates
        ECB dropped rates just like BOE and the Fed did, so your argument is total tulip.

Now ECB started slow increase in rates because it is way overdue, BOE lost control over rates anyway - they are meaningless when they are near zero anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X