• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bank of England Governor Sir Mervyn King to issue seventh inflation apology in a row"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    OK, since you ask let's go back to when UK had the chance to join the euro. It is well documented on here that you would have joined it.
    Yes I would have.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    The result of that would have meant that, not only would you have had no control over interest rates
    ECB dropped rates just like BOE and the Fed did, so your argument is total tulip.

Now ECB started slow increase in rates because it is way overdue, BOE lost control over rates anyway - they are meaningless when they are near zero anyway.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Just wait until 20-30% payraises demanded by unions

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    That would depend on time period. Is it now? Is it 5 years ago? Is it 1997 when he joined "independent" monetary policy committe? Is it 1948 when he was born?

Be more specific and I might just grace you with the answer worth remembering.
    OK, since you ask let's go back to when UK had the chance to join the euro. It is well documented on here that you would have joined it.

The result of that would have meant that, not only would you have had no control over interest rates, but you would also be paying a lot more to bail out the eurozone. I might be wrong but I'd say that's a fail.

So what about now? What levers would you pull that Mervyn King hasn't?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Walked past Halifax yesterday - they show 2.79% mortgage rate fixed for 2 years, but small print says you need to have 40% deposit
    Who needs a mortgage, when there's housing benefit?

Family on benefits move into £2 million home - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm thinking of offering personal loans, nought percent interest for 5 years**

**100% admin fee applies.
    I'd like a loan of -£1,000,000 please.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Don't let it out. the banks might copy that and you'd get nothing.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Like those 0% balance transfer offers on credit cards, with an arrangement fee of ~3%. So that's really a 3% balance transfer isn't it.

If inflation continues to rise will mortgage rates go up even if the BoE allows the base rate to remain as it is?

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    It's called an admin fee, but it's really a subsidy.

APR is there to compare like for like.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It sounds like the kind of product that will be target for lawsuits in the future just like ridiculous overdraft fees...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Oh, forgot to mention that - admin fee was £1300 or something plus £250 for something, wtf - this sort of money should buy month of admin work.
    Its incredibly amazing how for a different product - one at a better rate - the admin fee is about double. Is there more work invloved. I mean, are there more keyboard keys to press, more photocopying, more e-mails and more post?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Yeah, we looked into lower offers but the "admin fee" was about 5 times what we would save over the term of the offer. So we're a bit stuck at the mo'. Only have about £30K left on it so we might just pay it off in a lump sum and be rid of that noose around our necks.
    Oh, forgot to mention that - admin fee was £1300 or something plus £250 for something, wtf - this sort of money should buy month of admin work.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Walked past Halifax yesterday - they show 2.79% mortgage rate fixed for 2 years, but small print says you need to have 40% deposit
    Yeah, we looked into lower offers but the "admin fee" was about 5 times what we would save over the term of the offer. So we're a bit stuck at the mo'. Only have about £30K left on it so we might just pay it off in a lump sum and be rid of that noose around our necks.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    2 years is daft. It's worth paying extra for a 5 year fix.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X