• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dow Jones down 500 points.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Anybody got some solid indicators on when is a good time to buy in? I have a warchest ready to invest.
    Don't invest your war chest if you think you'll ever need it. You don't want to watch you £20,000 become £10,000 and need to pull it out to buy food.

If however you do really have spare cash wait a few weeks until either a central Bank announces more quantitative easing, the ECB makes a decision that sticks and the market has settled down for a few days. Personally I doubt that will be this year.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Don't invest your war chest if you think you'll ever need it. You don't want to watch you £20,000 become £10,000 and need to pull it out to buy food.

If however you do really have spare cash wait a few weeks until either a central Bank announces more quantitative easing, the ECB makes a decision that sticks and the market has settled down for a few days. Personally I doubt that will be this year.
      Well I have a fair amount of money in cash ISAs in case of emergency. I have this and last years stock ISA allowance to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        Well I have a fair amount of money in cash ISAs in case of emergency. I have this and last years stock ISA allowance to play with.
        In which case you are more likely to make a profit if you invest today compared with yesterday however the market could just as easily return to 4200 or 5400 at the moment and my concern is that the former is more likely than the latter.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Different scenario for C&W. I bought in for the divvy, took it and bailed straight out. They then decided that it was unsustainable, sacked the board and halved it. You do have to ensure that the business paying the divvy is paying from profit and not being stupid. Like C&W.

Standard Life is pretty consistent.

Dow down 600 points.
          Standard Life Posts 44% Leap In Profits, Seeing Strong Demand.

What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
          X