• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Financial institutions; FFS, grow a pair

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    But in all these cases the risk is voluntary.
    A soldier does not have to be a soldier, a sportsman doesn't have to ride the cresta run, and you and I don't have to participate in the financial markets.

So there's no reason to get upset about it at all.
    Indirectly we do.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Indirectly we do.
      If you invest for the long term in solid companies that pay regular and rising dividends, the financial markets don't affect you because the latter don't affect dividend yields from solid companies.

It's only a problem if you need to sell out quickly or invest in junk stock (like Lloyds).

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        As someone in the finance industry who deals with risk for a living I have this to say:
        As an itinerant IT tester don't presume to have an opinion about things you don't understand.
        You don't have a "real" job, you just test software: that looks as ephemeral as any finance job from where I'm sitting.
        Now back in you box and where's that bottle of Petrus?

Insolent Peasant.
        WHS

Comment

If all you superior intellects are so bloody clever, why aren't you standing right in the middle of this mess sorting things out?

Comment

If all you superior intellects are so bloody clever, why aren't you standing right in the middle of this mess sorting things out?
            Because most of them were standing right in the middle of it with their fingers up their arses and their brains in neutral whilst it was created. Fecking window-licking bin-dipping simpletons!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

We don't all work for failing institutions such as Lloyds or RBS.
              HTH
              Oh and we're too busy counting our wonga to really give a damn.
              HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                We don't all work for failing institutions such as Lloyds or RBS.
                HTH
                Oh and we're too busy counting our wonga to really give a damn.
                HTH
                No sense of noblesse oblige?

Comment

cos we are not smart enough to test software i guess
                  sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
                    cos we are not smart enough to test software i guess
                    Evidently.

Comment

No sense of noblesse oblige?
                      I work in a niche industry.
                      I'm paid to do a job for my firm. If I'm bad at it I'll get fired. If I'm good I'll get head-hunted.
                      And my job directly impacts the bottom line so there's no hiding place.
                      So far I'm doing Ok for all stakeholders.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X