• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Friday's Channel 4 news - NHS IT systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF's wrong with Yahoo,Hotmail or Gmail?
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by datestamp
      Thanks TinTin. I'd forgotten about those things. I believe that problems with the projects are having interesting effects in the Stock Market:

NHS deal worries halve iSoft shares

It would seem that plenty of money is being spent:
      The nine projects at the heart of NHS IT (Silicon.com)

The 11 companies that run 80 per cent of government IT

I was working on a project with one of the above on a government contract to upgrade the network infrastructure hardware and OS. Part of the contract with the government department was to replace the desktop PCs and an upgrade them in two years time. The government department was not specific with any details so the consultancy took away the PCs, then took out the CD RWs and replaced them with CD ROMs. The PCs were then swapped with various ones in other departments. The upgrade after two years was to have the CD RWs fitted. Needless to say the government department was not happy but they couldn’t do anything out it because the contract was not specific on what was meant by “replacing PCs” and “upgrading PCs”
      HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

A not untypical experience of the public sector:

Decide to develop 20-30 eGov projects in Java. Recruit loads of consultants. Send permies off on training to help out etc.

Six months later scrap everything and decide Microsoft is the way forward. Cue more training for permies and loads of new consultants.

Nine months later scrap everything again and decide Java/BEA is the way forward. Cue more training for permies and loads of new consultants.

One year later not a single project in production and the EU about to breath down said dept's neck because the UK won't be in compliance with other EU systems, what shall you do?...yep, bring all those MS consultants back and start working on the old code again...

Comment

And guess who else amongst New Lie has or had its nose in this Andersen trough ...

Ed Balls. Another nasty, slimy deceitful piece of work of the same ilk as Milliband. Makes my skin crawl every time this poisonous creep opens its lieing, slathering mouth.
          Last edited by BobTheCrate; 17 May 2006, 13:36. Reason: beg pard Fleety .. spelling corrected.

Comment

poisonous
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
              poisonous
              poisoneress perhaps? no no I am just being silly
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
                And guess who else amongst New Lie has or had its nose in this Andersen trough ...

Ed Balls. Another nasty, slimy deceitful piece of work of the same ilk as Milliband. Makes my skin crawl every time this poisonous creep opens its lieing, slathering mouth.
                Yes, belly-crawling piece of lying filth. One of brown's henchman who has now moved to being an MP, obviously in readiness for brown's ascension to captain of a sinking ship.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                X