• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

14000 lines in one source

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to throw the comments away as they are nearly always wrong.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      nearly always wrong.
      so there is a glimmer of home they are correct
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        What does this source do exactly, that requires all those lines?

Sounds very complicated.
        its the EDS "Hello World" program

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
          its the EDS "Hello World" program
          I'm glad to see that you recognise your own code
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
            b) Where is Tex when you want to blame his family
            Yeeh-hah, pardner. Jus' you let me round up them injuns!

Comment

Just checked and I've got 9900 lines in one source file - its a single class and I already removed a few thousand lines into separate classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex
                Yeeh-hah, pardner. Jus' you let me round up them injuns!
                Make sure you do the needful. Thrice if necessary.

Comment

You'd had better put that code abck if you want to play with the BIG BOYS

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                    You'd had better put that code abck if you want to play with the BIG BOYS
                    Would it make you happy if I use "partial" classes feature of .NET 2.0 and split that source file into X files with Y lines each? Would this suddenly increase value of the code that right now nobody apart from me deals with? Do you really think that the amount of effort it takes to make code look nice (I actually use tabs and comments these days) is a lot less than actually devising and debugging fairly complex algorithms?

Comment

Thats got to be the worst thing about IT... specifications that only exist in someones head. As soon as they are gone, so is any simple way of getting information about that system.

On the contract I'm on now, the permies (and in fact the other contractor working there) seem to think that i'm just there to write documentation for stuff, when in fact i've been brought in to write a change management system. I'm just doing the right thing and speccing the thing up first.

And don't get me started on commenting. Its always added as an after thought when the comments should be the first lines written. Its a lot easier to write code if you go through a rough plan for that block with comments and then work back writing the code under the appropriate comments. Saves you writing tulipe code that you have to redo
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X