• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to the land of the free!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Congratulations!
    Fook - I was in the States in April and twice did a right turn into the wrong carriageway in residential areas

Deffo don't do it when I'm driving on the continent

Taking off topic somewhat - if you look at old photgraphs of America or watch Cowboy films - the driver of waggon trains / buggies etc are always sat on the right side of the vehicle - so htf did they choose to drive on the right?

fooking fookwits

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Someone is an arsehole somewhere in the world, shock!

For balance, I got pulled over for speeding a few years back in the US, the cop heard my accent and let me off with a warning, chatted with me and my friend for a while and then gave us much better directions to where we going.
      That happened to me as well... the officer was a black guy and looking at his holstered pistol couldn't help smirking thinking about scenes from Blazing Saddles
      The UK license seemed to phase him as did the accent when I explained I was looking for a particular area, so I got off with a caution and instructions for the best way of reaching my destination
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I did this once in the NW of E. Just as a cop van was coming the other way. He let me off after I informed them I'd just come out of a car park just up the road and didn't notice any one-way sign.

Maybe the sign had been nicked or was never there, or they were in a rush back to HQ for coffee and doughnuts. They drove off and I continued to the end of the street, still going the wrong way.

I was on a date and we'd just finished at a nearby restaurant so I was driving her home for 'coffee'. Maybe I was a little distracted.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I did this once in the NW of E. Just as a cop van was coming the other way. He let me off after I informed them I'd just come out of a car park just up the road and didn't notice any one-way sign.

Maybe the sign had been nicked or was never there, or they were in a rush back to HQ for coffee and doughnuts. They drove off and I continued to the end of the street, still going the wrong way.

I was on a date and we'd just finished at a nearby restaurant so I was driving her home for 'coffee'. Maybe I was a little distracted.
          Did you end up going the wrong way up a one way street?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Did you end up going the wrong way up a one way street?

No. My twat-nav couldn't find the Oxo Tower.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

No. My twat-nav couldn't find the Oxo Tower.
              Did you forget that the address has a colon at the end?

Comment

Did you forget that the address has a colon at the end?

It was dark and my finger skills weren't so clever. It kept saying "wrong way, make a legal u-turn" whenever I got close to finding the right tunnel entrance.

Ended up going via the suspension bridge and into the valley instead. She appreciated the pearl necklace though. Only jewelry I ever gave her.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

It was dark and my finger skills weren't so clever. It kept saying "wrong way, make a legal u-turn" whenever I got close to finding the right tunnel entrance.

Ended up going via the suspension bridge and into the valley instead. She appreciated the pearl necklace though. Only jewelry I ever gave her.
                  Sometimes it's worth taking the toll road, I guess.

Comment

Sometimes it's worth taking the toll road, I guess.
                    Yeah, paying upfront can produce quicker results.

Otherwise I find driving her while under the influence is sometimes rewarding. A skin full of booze soon gets inhibitions low enough that "Stop" and "No Entry" signs become optional.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Wrong way up a one way street?

Anyway not as bad a the UK tourist who overstayed his visa by a couple of days and was taken to a prison chain gang for two weeks!
                      I heard a tale many years ago about a couple of business men, both US citizens, getting pulled for a trumped up traffic violation in a small town in the Mid-West. They didn't have enough cash to pay the fine and the cops wouldn't wait for a bank to open so they were on the chain gang.

It turned out that the town council wanted some free labour.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X