• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bike for work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    WGJS. Try slick tyres first before you buy new wheels.
    Takes a lot longer to swap tyres than swap wheels. I guess it depends how often you'd be switching.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Hey guys,

Can any of you two wheeled road warriors recommend me a bike - primarily for commuting to work, but I like the occasional bit of mountain biking (Not so easy in Sing, but at some point I'll get away for a ride somewhere).

Looking to spend 500 ish, give or take - willing to pay more if that's the sensible option, my last bike lasted me 10 years so don't mind spending a wee bit extra if that's the advice given

And how the fck are you all? Been a while, something about distance and timezone that puts me off posting more regularly. 1 1/2 years into life in Singapore and loving it. Can't think of a better place to live if you've a young family, and life here generally is very easy. All the stuff about Sing being boring is well off the mark, and at the risk of sounding like a smug b'stard it's the best financial move I've ever made

Hope you're all well, billing the clients large sums and ducking the tax man with small payments.
      Hi Snaw, I thought you had been shot by a right wing gunman
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Head down to Mustava's off the Kitchener Road - he sells everything

:: Mustafa Online ::

Comment

What about a bike for £200 or so? cos I'm quite tight.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            What about a bike for £200 or so? cos I'm quite tight.
            Just for you, and only a snip at £89.99

Bargain

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              Quick on, on the 29er - is that meant for bigger riders (i.e. not me), what's the scoop with the bigger wheels?
              Not necessarily, bigger wheels= faster commutes.

Might be a good balance for you, but I wouldn't get one without trying it.

Loads of pro/con articles on the net...

A 29er Has Bigger Wheels But is Bigger Better?: Pros and Cons of Buying a Mountain Bike with 29 Inch Wheels | Suite101.com

26 Vs. 29 Inch Bike Wheels | LIVESTRONG.COM
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Hi Snaw, I thought you had been shot by a right wing gunman
                You need to get to specsaver's DA, you missed me by a continent
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Not necessarily, bigger wheels= faster commutes.

Might be a good balance for you, but I wouldn't get one without trying it.

Loads of pro/con articles on the net...

A 29er Has Bigger Wheels But is Bigger Better?: Pros and Cons of Buying a Mountain Bike with 29 Inch Wheels | Suite101.com

26 Vs. 29 Inch Bike Wheels | LIVESTRONG.COM
                  Interesting reading, not sure it helps any

Maybe I stick to 26, the bigguns sound like they could be hit or miss.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Thx for advice so far. SO toying with one of these:

Cannondale Trail, SL2 or SL 3, Specialized Rockhopper or Trek 6000.

From evans cycles, any thoughts gents, I'll buy you a beer whenever you're next in Singers!

Comment

For a daily 15-min commute what is the need for spending serious money? Wouldn't a cheap bike be more than adequate for flat roads, e.g. £150 for a commute bike and £500 for a fun offroad bike?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X