• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pound seems to be weakening against the euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The thing is SAS, you are, as you keep telling us, the elite of the elite crack intellectual shock troopers. Not everyone has your ability to make money appear out of thin air just by opening their mouth & waving their hands and most people who still have to actually do stuff for a living are far better off in Germany where there is a chance that someone will pay them for doing it.

that Doobab is a very amusing analogy.

I would however not go so far

when I think of Sas I think of Captain Mainwaring from Dad's Army.

Milan.

Comment

It's really a question of what you compare to what. Most of you lot are focusing on Greece or other places that are ****ed, so to make a fair comparison you need to look at life in the less salubrious parts of the UK.

If you are going to look at prosperous parts of the UK it seems perfectly fair to compare London to say Bavaria which has a population comparable to greater London, a GDP about 30% higher and offers a very high quality of life. I have homes in both cities and I would say Munich wins EASILY for quality of life. There are less poor here, it's much less crowded, you have better access to nature, feck all crime, better public services, and for the price of a 3 bed ex council semi in a decent area of London you can buy a detached house with a pool.

On the other hand life in the poorer parts of Greece, Spain or southern Italy is probably much more miserable than living in Swansea or Sheffield.
      Oh I don't know, my quality of life in my nice house in a nice part of London, with one of the best locals close to me where I know everyone, a choice of restaurants from around the world in close proximity, plenty of green space, feck all crime, some of the worlds best cultural attractions a train ride away, and most importantly a culture where I feel at home in seems perfectly fine to me.
      Not to mention that when I sell said house, I can probably buy 3 comparable ones in Munich and live off the rent, should that be what I aspired to.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

The thing is SAS, you are, as you keep telling us, the elite of the elite crack intellectual shock troopers. Not everyone has your ability to make money appear out of thin air just by opening their mouth & waving their hands and most people who still have to actually do stuff for a living are far better off in Germany where there is a chance that someone will pay them for doing it.
        Let's just say I know how to add value. You on the other hand, judging by the other thread, are only now learning skills (web dev FFS!) that probably thousands round the world possess.

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Oh I don't know, my quality of life in my nice house in a nice part of London, with one of the best locals close to me where I know everyone, a choice of restaurants from around the world in close proximity, plenty of green space, feck all crime, some of the worlds best cultural attractions a train ride away, and most importantly a culture where I feel at home in seems perfectly fine to me.
          Not to mention that when I sell said house, I can probably buy 3 comparable ones in Munich and live off the rent, should that be what I aspired to.
          Well I'm glad you like it there. I'm not sure I'd call the Clapham Grand a cultural attraction but each to their own.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well I'm glad you like it there. I'm not sure I'd call the Clapham Grand a cultural attraction but each to their own.

There's plenty of culture down there, it's growing on't walls!

Comment

Milan

I hope you are well. Have you now learnt that being part of the Euro is more than just not having to change your holiday money?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Let's just say I know how to add value. You on the other hand, judging by the other thread, are only now learning skills (web dev FFS!) that probably thousands round the world possess.

HTH
                Er no, I'm catching up with modern developments in something I haven't bothered with for years (those late 90s browser wars really put me off) in order to add another string to my bow in the hope of jumping from a quiet niche into a more lucrative market upon my forced return to London. The reason I've picked on the front end web and ajax stuff is because it's the only bit of the target skillset that I don't have significant experience in, having been focused almost exclusively on server-side stuff, aside from the odd administration interface, for the last six years or so.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

AND Streets of London really are paved with gold - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                  X