• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

L2B evidence for Marillionfan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You need to train properly. Once you get fit that's a 4-5 hour ride.
    Define train properly. I am turning the pedals lots and lots, and I eat proper, well mostly.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Define train properly. I am turning the pedals lots and lots, and I eat proper, well mostly.
      Structured training employing scientific principles and measurement and involving alternating overreaching and recovery periods with a goal of raising your sustained power output and the time you can sustain it for.

If you repeat the same routine every week you will reach a plateau quite quickly. You have to structure your approach to ensure you continue to push yourself (without overdoing it) and allow yourself time to recover properly in order to make continued improvements. Normally you would have 2-3 weeks of increasing training volume and/or intensity (but still incorporating rest days or recovery rides after particularly hard days) followed by an "easy week" that lets your body recover. Each week can be structured as a combination of shorter high paced rides, interval training, and long rides (after all, if you want to get better at riding a long way that's what you really need to be practicing) interspersed with rest days and gentler rides after the hard sessions.

So for example, aim to go for 3,4,5 & 3 hr rides on the weekends with a day off afterwards, another 2hr+ ride midweek, a couple of shorter faster rides with interval sessions e.g. on a tuesday & thursday and perhaps another gentle hour the day before the long ride.

This is very much a case of do as I say not as I do, of course although I will be going out for 3-4 hours tomorrow if the weather is nice.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

You need to train properly. Once you get fit that's a 4-5 hour ride.
        Did it a few years back - think I took around 9 hours - moving average 12.5 ish, plus refreshment stops / photo stops / faffing. Thinking about doing it again - need to have something to aim for to keep motivated.

Comment

Armed Forces Day

oops
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Did it a few years back - think I took around 9 hours - moving average 12.5 ish, plus refreshment stops / photo stops / faffing. Thinking about doing it again - need to have something to aim for to keep motivated.
            When I was younger I used to cycle a lot. I set myself a target of covering 100 miles in 4 hours, but the best I actually managed was 4:23. Obviously that was non-stop with eats and drinks all taken at cruising speed.

I obviously can't do that these days though. When I got back on my bike in 2007 I couldn't even get into the right position on the bike or make it up the hill near my house without stopping. I don't think it's that hard to build the power output up again, cos after a few months I could manage an hour or so at 20mph, but building the endurance to sustain it for 4-5 hours is a different matter cos you really need to put a lot of time in. When I started aiming at the 100 miles before I was already riding 50-60 miles at that sort of speed a couple of times a week and obviously I didn't start from a platform of being a 3st overweight middle aged pisshead.

Perhaps 5 hours is a bit optimistic.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Belly
              Is this what you're looking for?

Say Hi to Threaded when you see him.

Comment

When I was younger I used to cycle a lot. I set myself a target of covering 100 miles in 4 hours, but the best I actually managed was 4:23. Obviously that was non-stop with eats and drinks all taken at cruising speed.

I obviously can't do that these days though. When I got back on my bike in 2007 I couldn't even get into the right position on the bike or make it up the hill near my house without stopping. I don't think it's that hard to build the power output up again, cos after a few months I could manage an hour or so at 20mph, but building the endurance to sustain it for 4-5 hours is a different matter cos you really need to put a lot of time in. When I started aiming at the 100 miles before I was already riding 50-60 miles at that sort of speed a couple of times a week and obviously I didn't start from a platform of being a 3st overweight middle aged pisshead.

Perhaps 5 hours is a bit optimistic.
                I don't have a fatty liver nor has the doctor told me to ease up. I am indeed at least 3 stone overweight though.

Comment

I don't have a fatty liver nor has the doctor told me to ease up. I am indeed at least 3 stone overweight though.
                  I wasn't talking about you

To be fair, I've got rid of about 3/4 of a stone since new year and cut my alcohol intake substantially (although 2 500ml bottles of 5% beer equates to 5 units so still exceeds the guideline daily intake) so by this time next year I should be down to a sensible weight and in much better shape all round.

Comment

I wasn't talking about you

To be fair, I've got rid of about 3/4 of a stone since new year and cut my alcohol intake substantially (although 2 500ml bottles of 5% beer equates to 5 units so still exceeds the guideline daily intake) so by this time next year I should be down to a sensible weight and in much better shape all round.

OK I'll mop up after myself.

Cutting my boozing down considerably, and actually starting to enjoy the change. Just sipping and not guzzling is far more relaxing. SY02 nearly feinted yesterday when I had a couple of beers with my father in law and then plumped for a coffee. Not normal SY01 practice.

Comment

OK I'll mop up after myself.

Cutting my boozing down considerably, and actually starting to enjoy the change. Just sipping and not guzzling is far more relaxing. SY02 nearly feinted yesterday when I had a couple of beers with my father in law and then plumped for a coffee. Not normal SY01 practice.

I've halved my alcohol intake. Cut out sugar and cut out about 500 calories out of my food diet and started cycling doing about 60miles week before lasy but only 20 this week.

I've put on 5lbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X