• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone watch that Evan Davis Made in Britain show last night?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    You're missing the point, apparently they're 'de rigueur' for the city gent commuter.

If they were made in India or China the brand would lose its appeal.
    WHS

It's all about branding and that includes the place it's made as some countries are known for having better quality control than others.

After all would you buy a Beamer if it was made in India?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      You're missing the point, apparently they're 'de rigueur' for the city gent commuter.

If they were made in India or China the brand would lose its appeal.
      I don't agree. There is obviously a market for those who want to pay a big price for a quality product, but there are a lot more who would happily buy one almost as good but at half the price. I'd suggest that a fair chunk of those who have to pay £700 for their folding bike would happily buy a cheaper one from overseas if it were £350. Lets see where this lot are in 10 years time.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        I don't agree. There is obviously a market for those who want to pay a big price for a quality product, but there are a lot more who would happily buy one almost as good but at half the price. I'd suggest that a fair chunk of those who have to pay £700 for their folding bike would happily buy a cheaper one from overseas if it were £350. Lets see where this lot are in 10 years time.
        If you do a google you can find folding bikes on sale for half the price of a Brompton.

The point about having a Brompton is their quality.

If you know any bike fanatics they are quite happy to spend £2,000 on one of their bikes.

It's a bit like the fact you can buy shoes for £10 from Primark or you can go and buy shoes for 10x that from somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If you do a google you can find folding bikes on sale for half the price of a Brompton.

The point about having a Brompton is their quality.

If you know any bike fanatics they are quite happy to spend £2,000 on one of their bikes.

It's a bit like the fact you can buy shoes for £10 from Primark or you can go and buy shoes for 100x that from somewhere else.
          ftfy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason Boyne View Post
            ftfy.
            To be more correct you can buy similar shoes for 2x, 3x and whatever times the price of Primark in other shops.

The point is you have the choice of how much you want to spend on a pair of shoes. Though with womans fashion spending more doesn't mean they will last longer.

BTW the only shoes I've got from Primark have been for fancy dress.

Comment

I may take the piss out of churchill over his pretend engineering qualification but I suppose I have to say well done on trying.

Nonsense TV shows like the great egg race made me to go into engineering, sadly we have the apprentice now where the articulation of screaming makes the decibel level a barganing chip.

Now we have a consumer stupid enough to believe air can be magnified and amplified as the dyson adverts claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

That's exactly what they said in the 1960's about the UK motorcycle industry. In 1967 BSA was still the world's 2nd largest motorcycle maker, behind Honda. Less than 3 years later it was bankrupt.
                WHS

I remember we used to laugh at tinny Japanese transistor radios in the mid '60s. But the joke soon went a bit flat.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Can't watch him.

I find the thought of him having a piece of metal in his penis a bit offputting.

Comment

Brompton

If he thinks the Japs won't take his business when they want to he is an idiot. Unless his technology is leading edge which it sounds like its not they will find ways to do it better & cheaper.

Didn't take them long to own the motorcycle market. They know a thing about quality that us Brits could learn.

The Germans could do the same. Vorsprung fold technik anyone?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Part of the reason we aren't all riding Bromptons is because they are too bloody expensive, and the other part is because they look silly.

Comment

Working...
                      X