• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any suggestions for my trip to Northumberland ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

PS, I think the Geordie slappers are the best attraction in the NE.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You can get a fast train from Newcastle to London and be in Wandsworth within 4 hours.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        PS, I think the Geordie slappers are the best attraction in the NE.
        Top notch. You can see the Scandinavian influence.

But back on topic, loads of useful looking links at Northumberland Coast.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alnwick Castle - the famous setting for the Harry Potter films - with a bit of googling that's the first thing of interest I found...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
            I'm taking some well deserved time off next week with the family and parents, and are heading up to Northumberland on my parents recommendation. Renting a nice cottage on the coast with a hot tub etc so looking forward to chilling out. Anyone got any suggestions for things to do in the Alnwick, Alnmouth, Seahouses area?

Was planning on a day in Edinburgh, maybe a day in Berwick perhaps, maybe a trip to Lindisfarne (the island not the naff 80's band that is )

Any ideas on things to do and see, chaps?

(BTW, this is a family orientated holiday, so please no suggestions for cocaine fuelled benders in lap dancing bars... )
            Isn't that waterfall where they filmed the stave fight in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves in Northumberland?

edit: Just looked it up, and according to this it was filmed in Aysgarth Falls in the Yorkshire Dales National Park
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 20 June 2011, 12:20.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Isn't that waterfall where they filmed the stave fight in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves in Northumberland?

edit: Just looked it up, and according to this it was filmed in Aysgarth Falls in the Yorkshire Dales National Park
              If the OP is heading that way on the return journey, there's also England`s highest unbroken waterfall at Hardraw Force. Not to be advised if it's chucking it down though; it can suffer from flash floods.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                1) It's on the way to Scotland? Home of free prescriptions, education and democracy.
                That's even worse - he can sit on the freezing beach looking up the coast at what he could have won...

Comment

Pretty decent fish and chips in Seahouses, IIRC.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Plus one vote for the Angel of the North. Awesome work of art. Though, like most of the recommendations here, it's nowhere near Northumbria.

I'm very wary of places like this, where nearly all the recommended sites of interest are not actually local. I remember most of the Dusseldorf guidebooks listing Cologne as the number one attraction. Cologne is a good half hour train ride away. (Actually Dusseldorf is very nice, they shouldn't put themselves down like that. Maybe it's a German joke.) In the case of Northumbria, far better to base yourself in North Yorkshire, or Newcastle, or Edinburgh, and take a day trip to Northumbria.

Comment

This may be a bit of a stretch, but Berwick is a nice town, and an even bigger stretch, there is a real nice town North of the border called North Berwick
                      I have heard more people say that North Berwick is the best place in Britain, than any other place

Along the wall is , once brewed, twice brewed and west once brewed.

let us know how it goes

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X