• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bankers in sack-cloth & ashes!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    The "mess" is that the boom of the 00's never really existed, but we spent like it did.
    WCS. Sad but true.
    On the upside, we are now paying for this by prodigiously turfing useless Public Sector drones out of some cushy non-jobs.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      The problem isn't what bankers earn, or even that some banks needed bailing out, it's the wider repercussions of the mess they made, which has had an effect on most people's lives, however prudent or otherwise they might have been. Life has been made harder for companies and in turn their employees, savers are offered -ve interest in real terms, and people, including a lot of low and mid level bankers, have lost their jobs because of it.

It seems to me that financial industry "creativity" has got out of hand, particularly in the US, and most regulators are so convinced of the benefits of free markets they no longer stop to question whether it's desirable for certain markets to exist at all. I would like to see a regulatory framework that prohibited creation and trading of complex financial products without prior regulatory oversight and approval.

Particularly in the case of many of the "toxic assets" that precipitated the cessation of interbank lending, there is recent research which demonstrates that it is simply impossible for all of the participants in a market to derive a fair value for them. Hence the over reliance on ratings agencies. It seems to me that the only regulatory intervention which could have prevented what happened would have been to prevent these assets from ever being created in the first place. This would also have discouraged sub prime lending as it would have been significantly more difficult for lenders to offload the dodgy loans.

I can't really see things getting fixed until the financial industry succumbs to effective regulation, which of course it will fight tooth and nail. Of course at that point the super profitable and ethically dubious "creative" side will disappear and it will become the boring, highly competitive and not especially profitable mechanism of capital allocation that it ought to be.
      i think that the problem is that there is not enough competition in banking. Cost of entry is too high and there are too many large institutions controlling banking.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

But what is the "mess" left behind.

Basically it's a financial system and economy that was never as profitable as we thought it was. Our economy is generally fine - it's just we were led to believe it was so much better, so we spent money we never had in the first place.

We are now having to make "swingeing cuts" to put the economy back where it started and unwind the fake boom that never really happened.

If your other half tells you won the lottery - and you go out of a spending spree (including buying lots of stuff on multi-year HP), but then your OH realises that the read the wrong set of numbers... Your other half didn't "lose" you the lottery money - you never had the winning ticket to begin with.

The "mess" is that the boom of the 00's never really existed, but we spent like it did.
        You seem to be looking at things from the perspective of the state.

The "mess" I'm referring to is the impact of the credit crunch on the wider economy both in terms of reduced availability and increased cost of finance for business, and the loss of business and consumer confidence. There are a lot of empty shops & retail units on my local high street & in the shopping center that weren't there 5 years ago, and that has very little to do with public sector spending cuts.

You are right to suggest that the boom never existed to the degree that people though it did, the point is that the financiers were largely responsible for the distortion. Ultimately it was the banks who danced their way around capital adequacy requirements using off balance sheet vehicles and pumped trillions of dollars of make believe money into the economy by irresponsibly lending it to people who they shouldn't have. Should they have been stopped by the regulators? Yes, ideally, but it was also reasonable to think that they wouldn't be so stupid as to risk catastrophe, and indeed it seems many of them didn't realize that they were.

TBH I think the problem is that they were too smart for their own good. I wouldn't advocate artificially restricting pay or bonuses or anything like that but I do think their activities should be curtailed and subject to a great deal more oversight, and I think the reduced remuneration will follow from that as opportunities for taking the piss are reduced.

I also think it's reasonable to expect them to be flexible with regard to the Eurozone debt situation. Given the amount that governments have been prepared to lend them, it rather takes the piss when they won't return the favour.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          i think that the problem is that there is not enough competition in banking. Cost of entry is too high and there are too many large institutions controlling banking.
          Perhaps. Personally I'm inclined to think that when people who probably shouldn't be allowed to borrow money have a selection of 110% mortgages to chose from there might be a bit too much competition.

It's almost as if the roles are reversed and the consumer became the consumed.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            WCS. Sad but true.
            On the upside, we are now paying for this by prodigiously turfing useless Public Sector drones out of some cushy non-jobs.
            And said drones will go to their grave resolute in their belief that bankers were 100% to blame for it.

Comment

The "mess" I'm referring to is the impact of the credit crunch on the wider economy both in terms of reduced availability and increased cost of finance for business, and the loss of business and consumer confidence.
              In terms of general availability of credit, what banks are doing now - are what they should have been doing all along - restricting credit to those that can actually afford it. The mess is really just a dose of "normality" returning.

That said - I think they have gone too far in terms of commerical credit availability. That's largely because banks no longer have the means to accurately assess the risk - previously the branch manager would look you in the eye to see if you were trustworthy enough.

You are right to suggest that the boom never existed to the degree that people though it did, the point is that the financiers were largely responsible for the distortion.
              Yes, they did - but governments were practically begging them to do it, and in the US, banks were virtually ordered by law to dish out cheap credit to people that couldn't afford it. Did Gordon Brown lift a finger to stop the housing bubble - did he tulip. He needed the banks to lend irresponsibly in order to fuel the boom. He knew that if he applied the brakes, even slightly, then people would realise that the boom was built up on a house of cards.

Comment

The former regulatory system wasn't "perfectly good". It resulted in several bank failures and a great deal of harm to consumers among other things. I don't recall a lot of noise from the other side of the house when the old regime was replaced.
                We are probably never going to agree . I never liked the FSA, I never thought that they stood a chance of being effective.

The lack of liquidity in the short term money markets was an international problem, and not something a UK government of any colour could have done any thing about.
                As Gordon's apologists state and the man himself frequently repeated, but was it really? How many Australian banks have been bailed out by their tax-payers?

You might argue that Gordon Brown, or the FSA, could have legislated to prevent UK banks being so dependent on short term lending.
                Yes I would. Northern Rock's business model was a basket-case and should never have been allowed.

Comment

TBH I think the problem is that they were too smart for their own good. I wouldn't advocate artificially restricting pay or bonuses or anything like that but I do think their activities should be curtailed and subject to a great deal more oversight, and I think the reduced remuneration will follow from that as opportunities for taking the piss are reduced.
                  Now on that, we do agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    We are probably never going to agree . I never liked the FSA, I never thought that they stood a chance of being effective.
                    Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean that what came before was.

As Gordon's apologists state and the man himself frequently repeated, but was it really? How many Australian banks have been bailed out by their tax-payers?
                    Good effort at cherry picking, but a fail, as actually some Aussie banks were bailed out in secret.

NAB and Westpac’s Secret Bailout Revealed

Yes I would. Northern Rock's business model was a basket-case and should never have been allowed.
                    Easy to say after the fact. A lot harder to spot when it's standard industry practice to a greater or lesser degree.

Comment

In terms of general availability of credit, what banks are doing now - are what they should have been doing all along - restricting credit to those that can actually afford it. The mess is really just a dose of "normality" returning.

That said - I think they have gone too far in terms of commerical credit availability. That's largely because banks no longer have the means to accurately assess the risk - previously the branch manager would look you in the eye to see if you were trustworthy enough.
                      Agree with this so far.

Yes, they did - but governments were practically begging them to do it, and in the US, banks were virtually ordered by law to dish out cheap credit to people that couldn't afford it.
                      I think you might mean la la land? In the US there was widespread fraudulent selling of sub prime mortgages and certainly no law ordering it to happen. In fact there were laws against it, which resulted in prosecutions, including countrywide who were I think the biggest.

What drove it was investor appetite for high yield "safe" debt and too much capital sloshing around. I agree that governments failed to spot the problem or deal with it effectively but to suggest it was all done at their behest is bobbins.
                      Last edited by doodab; 20 June 2011, 08:56.

Comment

Working...
                      X