• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewers that don't understand contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    The correct answer is "Well, it could do with some work I think."
    And quote them for the work.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      It's usually why do want to work for us

When you know they don't want you to be honest and say I'm not a permie I don't want a career with you I just want your money
      I just say, "I like the name of your company on my CV, when I am looking for new contracts, and that's the only reason I am taking a rate cut. Usually i would not touch this kind of role, but it's just one of cases."

HTH.

Comment

I've told clients their website is tulipe and still got the contract
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Hopefully by then I will have completed your project and a couple of others and be either sunning myself on a beach somewhere or I'll be lying used and abused on a bed in an expensive hotel somewhere surrounded by white powder and high-class hookers.
          Instantly marking yourself out as unimaginative and lacking ambition, not to mention lacking in self confidence and only in it for the money.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Instantly marking yourself out as unimaginative and lacking ambition, not to mention lacking in self confidence and only in it for the money.
            So the correct answer is I could tell you but I don't have a nice Chianti or any fava beans to hand

Comment

Bless.

We're all in it for the money. Anyone who says different is lying. HTH.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                We're all in it for the money. Anyone who says different is lying.
                Oh don't get me wrong, I love the money, and I've no qualms about taking money for old rope when required, but if my heart isn't in something it becomes hard to motivate myself to go the extra mile, which ultimately impacts the quality of the end product and starts to get me down.

Ergo, If I'm hiring I want to see a bit more than dollar signs flashing in someone's eyes.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Ergo, If I'm hiring I want to see a bit more than dollar signs flashing in someone's eyes.
                  Phew thank goodness it's sterling signs flashing

Comment

ostendo mihi viaticus

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the money, and I've no qualms about taking money for old rope when required, but if my heart isn't in something it becomes hard to motivate myself to go the extra mile, which ultimately impacts the quality of the end product and starts to get me down.

Do you ask the same of your plumber, tailor, motor insurance broker?

Comment

Working...
                      X