• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much rent should a teenager pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    Loads of self-pitying dribble deleted
    You have issues matey!

Suggesting that once your children become working adults, they get a flavour of paying their own way in life, is anything but "callous".
    In future, I'd advise not posting quite so close to "Last Orders".

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      you could continue with your financial obligations instead of running for the hills and bitching from afar.
      Churchill, once again you show what a giant twat you are. I'm asking about rent, not asking for your dubious and uninformed moral judgement. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Churchill, once again you show what a giant twat you are. I'm asking about rent, not asking for your dubious and uninformed moral judgement. HTH.
        From one twat to another...

What your "ex" charges in rent is her decision. What you intend to do about it is yours.

Comment

Clearly, lots of people bringing their own experiences to bear on this one (which is natural I guess). So - reality is that you have to adapt to the situation you have created.
          IF you can see your kids have had a very easy ride, maybe a bit too comfortable and probably need a wake-up call then I think a charge might provide some focus and/or a bit of incentive to find alternative accom (with your gaff as a safety net of course).
          If you have no such concerns and it's been a lot more of a struggle then maybe you can continue to help them out more.
          Truth is that there is no one answer to the question, depends on the situation.
          BTW all ex's are designed to be a bleedin nightmare, that's why you cut them loose except when a kid is involved. She is likely wanting to beat you up about this alongside the other thousand thngs that have been your fault over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            You have issues matey!

Suggesting that once your children become working adults, they get a flavour of paying their own way in life, is anything but "callous".
            In future, I'd advise not posting quite so close to "Last Orders".

HTH

heh heh

harsh, whilst at the same time, remaining fair

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I moved out as soon as I could so the issue of paying rent to my parents wasn't an issue. However, my brother lived at home right into his mid-twenties and he treated the place like a hotel...but without paying the bill!! I got really annoyed with him seeing him take the piss out of my parents and contributing little. Personally I don't see anything wrong with taking a nominal sum from your kids when they are earning, living under your roof and eating your food (and running up the phone bill!!).
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                I moved out as soon as I could so the issue of paying rent to my parents wasn't an issue. However, my brother lived at home right into his mid-twenties and he treated the place like a hotel...but without paying the bill!! I got really annoyed with him seeing him take the piss out of my parents and contributing little. Personally I don't see anything wrong with taking a nominal sum from your kids when they are earning, living under your roof and eating your food (and running up the phone bill!!).
                WCMS

As soon as you're old enough to pay your way. Pay your way!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  However one of my brother's looked after me, cleaned up after himself, did household chores, worked full-time (in a low paid job), didn't run up the phone bill and gave my mother money.

Though my mother still got pissed off with him living at home in his late 20s and made him move out when I was old enough to look after myself.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    FFS, I don’t want to agree with you but I do. Do you want your son to charge you rent when you are old and frail? If you have kids, they are for life. At least give them a start. In many countries, they will buy their kids a property so they are not tied in debt. Don’t charge him but ask him to put away some savings each week.
                    I sort of agree with this, cuz I sort of have no pension, so relying on them to look after me when am old and frail...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      However one of my brother's looked after me, cleaned up after himself, did household chores, worked full-time (in a low paid job), didn't run up the phone bill and gave my mother money.

Though my mother still got pissed off with him living at home in his late 20s and made him move out when I was old enough to look after myself.
                      I'm not sure I see your point? Clearly your situation is totally different from mine.
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X