• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When will they learn? There are no admin IT people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will they learn? There are no admin IT people

I hope this is not a trend and it is only restricted to one of our major IT suppliers. They are trying to replace all skilled permanent and contractor people with cheap non IT savvy guys with low experience and qualifications. The result is a major disaster. The service quality is achieving a new unexpected low. I hope companies have learned the lesson that IT is not an admin job, it requires proper qualification, experience and commitment. One people can do as much as 4-5 if he/she has the right skills, experience and motivation. Is it quite common those days? Again a flashback?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Nope, thats commonplace now. For the same reason offshoring catches the eye of the accountant-led IT departments of most companies. If its cheap and the brochure is glossy, sign up for it.

If it costs more, takes a couple of weeks longer, and talks technology rather than smiling at you, then they run away.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      it requires proper qualification, experience and commitment. One people can do as much as 4-5 if he/she has the right skills, experience and motivation.
      Quite so, it is staggering how much more productive a good person can be in IT. This is unfortunately a problem with agencies today too: few agents have any idea how much difference it can make for a programmer to be good, or how to have any idea whether someone is. And few care, perhaps.

Comment

how much difference it can make for a programmer to be good
        Well here is an example. I modelled the Child Support Support System in a couple of days ... 1 person, and had a system to ship in about a week or so ... 8 people.

How long has the CSA been at it ... several years, and how many staff have they got on the IT ... several hundred.

It may be a little extreme to compare a commercial enterprise with a government department, but that is the kind of difference good people make: generally the differences are in 'orders of magnitude'.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Franko,

does it really matter ?

Milan.

Comment

At a FE college I taught at many years ago ....

threaded in "classroom full of female YOPs, what, with my reputation" mode.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Well here is an example. I modelled the Child Support Support System in a couple of days ... 1 person, and had a system to ship in about a week or so ... 8 people.
              Yes, it must have been quite gratifying for you to see "Hello World - This is the Child Support System" scrolling across the screen.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                Franko,

does it really matter ?

Milan.
                Darn, Milan, that sounds like good stuff you're smoking today....

Comment

It's happening where I'm contracting at the moment. The role is basically easy, provisioning network accounts in AD, managing shares and folder access, setting up/amending local/global groups, creating/amending SAP accounts, setting up remote access accounts, maintaining their god-awful notes database that tracks it all (providing the lamest audit trail known to man). I've been doing the job for the past year while they sorted out recruiting into the post.

I have to train people that have no concept of the difference between a DC and a member server. They do not know what a local or global group is. They do not understand that access to network resources is determined by group membership. Setting up a complicated account takes me 2 mins. The best I've had out the permie staff is half an hour. Good job they have a 5-day SLA!

HR will not classify the job as 'technical', they say is it clerical. They also say that because I have written a manual, the post holder does not 'need' to know how to do the job. Although, the manual is there as a guide, it cannot cover every eventuality.

I'm just pleased that my contract is set to end in July and I don't intend to renew! If they insist on employing clueless idiots into the role then that's not my problem! Although they did offer me a permie post... Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
                    I'm just pleased that my contract is set to end in July and I don't intend to renew!
                    So are they probably: it'll be much easier to blame you after you've gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X