• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Four days dry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most people I know have drunk enough time to have caused themselves a bit of liver damage. What is considered "normal" or "reasonable" is quite different from what will actually do harm over the long term. It might not seem like excessive drinking but going out most nights and having big nights out a couple of times a week in your twenties and thirties soon adds up and by the time you are forty you really need to start being sensible or you are looking at serious consequences.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Was out boozing last night at the Gunmakers in Marlyebone. After a promising start to the evening the emergency services had to be called as one of the on-shore development team went a bit overboard on brandy and passed out cold, unable to be revived.
      Never understood how people can get so pissed that they pass out or cannot walk. I've always had this 'home beacon' that kicks in when I've had too much. I just sort of get up and leave.

Failing the ability to do that. I stop drinking!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I only drink about 1-2 bottles of wine a month, so that makes me teetotal - but I do drink a shed load of tea...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I think most people I know have drunk enough time to have caused themselves a bit of liver damage. What is considered "normal" or "reasonable" is quite different from what will actually do harm over the long term. It might not seem like excessive drinking but going out most nights and having big nights out a couple of times a week in your twenties and thirties soon adds up and by the time you are forty you really need to start being sensible or you are looking at serious consequences.
          True I know a couple of people who have been told by their doctors if you touch a drop ever again, you're dead.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            The number of units is an artificial measurement. It means sod all unless you know details about the person consuming the units.
            Spot on. There is no way in the world that a skinny little bird would be able to consume the same as a muscely fit and lean adonis like me. Maybe blokes get beer bellies as a sort of biological and evolutionary defence of the liver against the ale. Its like the body saying, we need more mass-quick, make a beer belly

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Spot on. There is no way in the world that a skinny little bird would be able to consume the same as a muscely fit and lean adonis like me. Maybe blokes get beer bellies as a sort of biological and evolutionary defence of the liver against the ale. Its like the body saying, we need more mass-quick, make a beer belly

All hail the Ale!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Your liver regenerates, so you need to be drinking heavily every day for years to cause any long term damage. Having a few weekends out will not cause that.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Never understood how people can get so pissed that they pass out or cannot walk. I've always had this 'home beacon' that kicks in when I've had too much. I just sort of get up and leave.

Failing the ability to do that. I stop drinking!
                  True enough, I have something similar, but when I've had enough I feel slightly sick and if I carry on drinking, very sick. I guess it's a built in self preservation mechanism.

I agree that the guideline limits are a nonsense, but when you consider that the medical and political establishments felt they had to give a guideline they were bound to pick a number out of fresh air which was on the cautious side. With so many body types, racial types, lifestyles, diets and levels of physical fitness it was always going to be a massive fudge.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    Your liver regenerates, so you need to be drinking heavily every day for years to cause any long term damage. Having a few weekends out will not cause that.
                    That's my point. A lot of people are drinking heavily nearly every day, but they don't think they are at risk because they are surrounded by people doing the same thing so it becomes "normal".
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I've been off it completely for about 3 months now - feels great. Occassionally I get the urge when walking past a load of pubs etc but on the whole I'm enjoying life after alchahol. It's early days still though

Finally accepted (stopped denying) that I've got the drinking demon that so many people have. I don't facy ending up on a park bench with a can of tennants which is where it ends up ultimately.

Like doodab says so many people drink heavily and don't think it's a problem because it's so "normal"
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X