• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

aaarrgghhh Office 2007

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    By that logic, the standard menu system we all know and love wouldn't have been created either.
    What did standard menu system replace? There wasn't anything like it.

This ribbon thing was designed to replace menues and it does so horribly. I suppose maybe it saved MSFT a few quid on translations though.

The whole point of Windows, x86 is that you have legacy - never throw away decades of investment like this, if you have something new make sure old classic options are still in place even if they are off by default.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Was there such option in 2007? I certainly could not find it in 2010 - whoever decided to remove "classic" view with Menues that generation of people got trained it is a bigger cretin than product of sasguru and andyW's love.
      Yes. I used 2007 for years until last January and it had the old menus view.

I'll be honest I haven't looked for it in 2010, I just decided to roll with the tide.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Hide extensions for known file types switched on and try to
        why would you ever have that switched on? admittedly could cause confusion with it switched on but I have it off as default
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Why didn't you use the option of retaining the old 2003 look and feel? That's what I did when I upgraded to Office 2007.

I've got 2010 now, and decided to get used to the ribbons. When I can't find a command I look it up in the Help.
          this all they needed to do with vista/win7/office 2007 - give people the choice to set it back to how it was - pushing changes on people is usually reserved for Apple - when I start XP on a new box the first thing I do is set it to look and act like 97
          sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

This ribbon thing was designed to replace menues and it does so horribly.
            It's better. You're too thick too use it.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It's better. You're too thick too use it.
              It's not better, and you don't take out choice when it is cheap to keep it (software is bloated anyway) when decades of training were put into it.

Comment

It's not better, and you don't take out choice when it is cheap to keep it (software is bloated anyway) when decades of training were put into it.
                Decades of training for the old menu?

You're as thick as Milanbenes
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  what are you talking about ribbons ? you been smoking something ?

as for 2003 look and feel had no choice it autoinstalled when I booted up last week

Milan.
                  I hope clientco have set all the office apps to save in office 2003 - 2007 mode and not the native docx extension.

If not, will be fun and games when working with docs with people who are still running the old(er) version of office.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Decades of training for the old menu?

You're as thick as Milanbenes
                    We had this conversation before, that was the conclusion then too
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      what are you talking about ribbons ? you been smoking something ?

as for 2003 look and feel had no choice it autoinstalled when I booted up last week
                      Don't you just love the folks who have no idea of what corporate setups are like?

My "corporate version" of Excel doesn't understand CSV files. It wants semicolon separated files, and there's no way to change it.

Which is a pity when all the other MS server stuff both generates and expects commas.

I could of course go back to entering a few hundred items by hand
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X