• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is keeping current a concern for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scotgal View Post
    Redmond, I worked on the ASP.NET team.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      oh yes, I forgot Business Class
      Business Class with your own sofa ?
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
        Business Class with your own sofa ?
        Lost me
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
          Good advice.

I managed to ride a very lucrative gravy train for eighteen years with a narrow and highly specific skillset. I boarded the train as a permie in 1991, joined a big 6 firm in 1992, and took it overseas as a contractor in 1993.

Unfortunately, the train slowed down in the early 2000s, which allowed more people to jump on board. Now, however, it's so overloaded with Bobs that there is just no more filthy lucre to be had.

I was knocked off the train in 2009 and hit the ground hard. I have not been back on a train since then, but luckily, I don't have to board one ever again.
          Why? Are you in prison?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Yes, insofar as being unable to get off this planet.

But seriously, I was able to bank a boatload of dosh when the times were good.
            I sometimes wonder how much is enough? In theory I don't really have to contract. But I want a bigger house, car, TV, boat, penis.

These things cost money.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              Lost me
              If you said yes it would have made at least one person jealous
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

How ever much you have is never enough, but there comes a point when working to earn just a little bit more just isn't worth it any more, and the extra luxuries in life are no longer important enough to justify the extra effort.

When you reach that point, you'll know instinctively. Of course, some people may never reach that point.
                I know what you mean, however I sometimes wonder if not working might become boring, saying that I have always wanted to day trade full time.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  I know what you mean, however I sometimes wonder if not working might become boring, saying that I have always wanted to day trade full time.
                  I did a stint day trading back in 2001. Took three months doing it from home.

The main reason was due to the fact I'd bunced £50000 in pure cash into the dotcom crash between 1999/2000. I'd been contracting a few years, had bought a couple of houses and had a plan to buy one every two months. Someone persuaded me the stock market was the place, so I put every penny I earned in. All very good on the way up, next thing BANG all gone.

I day traded £20k back over 3 months against my capital losses but to be honest I found it difficult. You need to have balls of steel and not react to the movements of the market. I still have periods when I trade in and out, but I don't do it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I did a stint day trading back in 2001. Took three months doing it from home.

The main reason was due to the fact I'd bunced £50000 in pure cash into the dotcom crash between 1999/2000. I'd been contracting a few years, had bought a couple of houses and had a plan to buy one every two months. Someone persuaded me the stock market was the place, so I put every penny I earned in. All very good on the way up, next thing BANG all gone.

I day traded £20k back over 3 months against my capital losses but to be honest I found it difficult. You need to have balls of steel and not react to the movements of the market. I still have periods when I trade in and out, but I don't do it properly.
                    I guess a that happened to a lot of people, but I would look at some kind of automated trading using statistical analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post

I guess a that happened to a lot of people, but I would look at some kind of automated trading using statistical analysis.
                      God, that sounds even more dangerous.

What statistical analysis would have predicted the E coli outbreak if you were dabbling in cucumber or bean sprout futures?
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X