• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here speak Welsh?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    They apparently will start taking cards shortly.

One cannot rush these things you know.

The first bridge opened in 1966 ( at 2/6d toll) and credit cards have only been around for 40 odd years.

Though they did manage to setup the card transaction thingie temporarily for the golf not long ago.
    It gets better, if you want to buy an automatic TAG you have to download an application form, print it off and return it in the post with a cheque.

Bloody French.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      I was having a chat with one of the chaps here who reckons that Welsh is the best language to use for high speed verbal communication because the way sentences are constructed as verb-subject-object is similar to the way in which the human brain interprets language.

But what the **** would he know, he's Welsh!
      I was told that it's a very good language for bitchy insults.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Dim problem

Comment

Apart from the Taffia of course.

All busily sending their kiddies to be ejumakated yng Nghymraeg.
          My son goes to Welsh language school. Dont think I'm Taffia !!!!!

But I dont live in Cardiff - not far though.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

They apparently will start taking cards shortly.

One cannot rush these things you know.

The first bridge opened in 1966 ( at 2/6d toll) and credit cards have only been around for 40 odd years.

Though they did manage to setup the card transaction thingie temporarily for the golf not long ago.
            i'm going M1, M42 (I think) M5, M50 via Monmouth - I just love those tunnels!

I've worked in Wales before, did a year or so in Prestatyn, a few weeks on site in Aberystwyth and a month or so in Carmarthen. Even the Anglos had to answer the phone in Welsh, first introduction only, off a card in phonetics....

Comment

I've got an O level in Welsh.

Ever so useful that's been, I can tell you.
              Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                i'm going M1, M42 (I think) M5, M50 via Monmouth - I just love those tunnels!

I've worked in Wales before, did a year or so in Prestatyn, a few weeks on site in Aberystwyth and a month or so in Carmarthen. Even the Anglos had to answer the phone in Welsh, first introduction only, off a card in phonetics....
                Prestatyn? KwikSave or Butlins?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Prestatyn? KwikSave or Butlins?
                  No, was a company that made fall-arrest equipment, a plc but the smallest plc I ever worked for.

I was doing accounting systems then, Sage, 1993 ish. All running on Novell 2.something and Mac lappies. I've streeviewed the place now, it's gone.

I used to come off the A55 over this big mountain through a place called Gwynesgor or something like that, then down a 1 in 5 twisty road, so steep you could feel the car brakes heating up and losing efficiency, mint!

£25 an hour in '93, not bad! Part time tho, had another contract at the time, all direct, I didn't realise there was a contracting industry back then. I know it was there now with hindsight, but at the time I was clueless but probably doing better than I am now....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod....
                    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, look you.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, look you.
                      Narwhales can beat that bastard up any day! Check it out on YouTube...

Comment

Working...
                      X