• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bypassing the agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit this place
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 24 March 2006, 14:28.
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
      And there goes any last shred of trust I had in any agent that I will ever deal with

Job had gone, agent had been told wednesday daytime, then promptly lied to me on wednesday night saying he didn't know.

The client company were pretty annoyed too. Hopefully will be the last time they use that agency

well done, proud of yourself now? what makes you think the next agency they use will be any different ?
      When you eventually land a job I trust you will be on the blower telling every agency you are trying through not to bother. I know I dont, I like to keep them hunting just in case the job offer falls through.

This is a hard life SC so get your head in gear ffs.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
        And there goes any last shred of trust I had in any agent that I will ever deal with

Job had gone, agent had been told wednesday daytime, then promptly lied to me on wednesday night saying he didn't know.

The client company were pretty annoyed too. Hopefully will be the last time they use that agency
        This is business. Trust has got nothing to do with it.

Keep looking until you are absolutely sure that you have the gig, and then keep your CV online for a couple of weeks afterwards in case it still goes down the swannee!

Comment

I had a similar situation myself.... couldn't get rid of the agent at first as this was an urgent role. Went for two interviews, the interviewer even stated he was very impressed and couldn't decide between me and A.N.Other.... then it all went quiet.... two weeks later and the agent phoned me back and stated the e'er has put the job on hold.... sometimes I think they do all this just to see how the market is/who/what's out there AND do a 'brain storm' of how best to complete the job without employing anyone. i.e if they're interviewing 10 people and asking all their opinions on how to complete the Project/Task... you've just got a consultant's job done (across the market) for free!!

....am I being too cynical?

Comment

That sounds about right. It's part of sales.

Comment

Guess who phoned back today wanting to make an offer?

Now i'm glad I stuck to principles and didn't start slagging off the agency when I made that call.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                You trust the agent to be telling you the truth? If you dont hear anything by lunch time tomorrow call the client directly.

If you have lost out then there is nothing to lose...even if they havent made a decision it at least shows them that you are keen and still available (you never can tell what games agents have been playing eh?).

An agent from Elan IT tried it on with me about how the agents hadnt made up their minds...pitty for her I had already talked to the client and knew the contract had gone elsewhere.

End result was a complaint to the director and she was out the door on her hot little ass! (I checked to make sure she was gone by getting a couple friends to call asking for her and sure enough, she had been fired! ).

Regards

Mailman
                MM

Dont you feel any remorse for doing this, I certainly wouldnt have made a complaint to a director over such a matter.

Comment

SpaceCadet

It could also be that the agent had offered the gig to somebody else who their self was waiting to hear the results of an interview for a juicier contract that they had with somebody else. If that person after keeping the client/agent waiting then goes for their preferred contract that leaves you with this one (after a week or so's wait). They wouldn't tell you anything so you don't go looking again.

I suspect this is what happened to me once, but no way of ever being sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman
                    SpaceCadet

It could also be that the agent had offered the gig to somebody else who their self was waiting to hear the results of an interview for a juicier contract that they had with somebody else. If that person after keeping the client/agent waiting then goes for their preferred contract that leaves you with this one (after a week or so's wait). They wouldn't tell you anything so you don't go looking again.

I suspect this is what happened to me once, but no way of ever being sure.
                    Sure it happened to you, maybe not.

Sure it happens?

Sure of papal catholicism?
                    Sure of ursine woodland defecation?

Comment

The last one definitely, the others, work in progress

Comment

Working...
                      X