• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the population level sustainable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    As I was going to St Ives
    I met a man with seven wives
    Each wife had seven sacks
    Each sack had seven cats
    Each cat had seven kits
    Kits, cats, sacks, wives
    How many were going to St Ives?
    One (unless a Schizophrenic)
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Each sack had seven cats
      Each cat had seven kits
      Kits, cats, sacks, wives
      Depends what he was claiming on his mileage forms
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Well a cat can have up to seven litters a year, so if we say an average of 3 kittens per litter and they can breed from 4 months onwards............. so you're looking at a lot of mouths to feed.

Dogs only have 1 litter per year. So it looks like cat domination.
        Dogs can eat cats, so will thrive while the cat population explodes then crash once the cats start to starve due to overpopulation. Then it will all go round again.

While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          There are ten million Cats in the UK and ten million dogs.

What I want to know is, if they were all wild, and not kept and fed by us, what would the natural population be ? Also, if we went back ten thousand years, how many could the country support

Cats are "subsidised exotic predators". Their natural population density in Britain would be about 1 family per 10 square miles, rather than 1 moggy every second house.

If they had to feed themselves, there would be about one hundredth the number of cats. And an awful lot more native birds.

Domestic dogs are, well, domesticated, and have mostly lost the compulsion to predation, so do not impact the environment so much; but conversely might do so more if they were wild.
          Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 26 May 2011, 09:50.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            Cats are "subsidised exotic predators". Their natural population density in Britain would be about 1 family per 10 square miles, rather than 1 moggy every second house.

If they had to feed themselves, there would be about one hundredth the number of cats. And an awful lot more native birds.

Domestic dogs are, well, domesticated, and have mostly lost the compulsion to predation, so do not impact the environment so much; but conversely might do so more if they were wild.

Aha, thats what I wanted to know.

Dogs might not predate, but they sure sh1t everywhere.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              There are ten million Cats in the UK and ten million dogs.

What I want to know is, if they were all wild, and not kept and fed by us, what would the natural population be ? Also, if we went back ten thousand years, how many could the country support

Too good to let them run around. Taste like chicken.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Each sack had seven cats
                Each cat had seven kits
                Kits, cats, sacks, wives
                None. The dogs called in an Air Strike!!
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                  New Labour are "subsidised exotic wasters". Their natural population density in Britain would be about 1 family per 10 square miles, rather than 1 every second house.

If they had to earn themselves, there would be about one hundredth the number of them. And an awful lot more native tax contributors.
                  FTFY

Comment

Working...
                  X