• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kitchen Equipment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denby are having a bonzo 50% sale on their knives - the high carbon range is my choice, and I have not had to sharpen any of them (yet)

Kitchen Knives, Knife Blocks

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      Diamond coated steel, it's not hard to learn how to use one.

A whetstone is fine for a regrind if the edge has badly gone, but anything harsher than a decent steel is excessive for keeping a decent edge on kitchen knives.
      Same here, always sharpen my knives before use and ensure to clean dow the steel afterwards.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I might get a new knife as well. I have some nice traditional chef's knives and a cheap santuko type one which I now use for nearly everything, so perhaps a proper one of those would be a nice addition.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I might get a new knife as well. I have some nice traditional chef's knives and a cheap santuko type one which I now use for nearly everything, so perhaps a proper one of those would be a nice addition.
          Go to a proper knife shop and not the avergage kitchen shop. Most of the "cheffy" knives they are selling do not have the proper weight distribution and are too light for the job.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Since my Mum was a proper Tyke, I was taught how to use a knife steel before I can remember.

When my Dad saw me use it on the Bowie knife I used to take to Cub Scouts (how the world was different just 30 years ago) he taught me how to use a whetstone.

A few flicks of a kitchen knife over a steel once in a while is plenty - otherwise you must be abusing your kitchen knives.

A whetstone will wittle a kitchen knife down into a spike in no time.

As for those table-top thingies with metal wheels in as knife sharpeners:
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
              Denby are having a bonzo 50% sale on their knives - the high carbon range is my choice, and I have not had to sharpen any of them (yet)

Kitchen Knives, Knife Blocks
              Denby don't make knives. Go for a proper knife, wusthof or the like
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                Denby don't make knives. Go for a proper knife, wusthof or the like
                WRS, but there are many versions, so check you are not getting the carp domestic version if you are serious about your cooking go to a trade shop.

Which reminds me I need to treat myself to a new set............

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  WRS, but there are many versions, so check you are not getting the carp domestic version if you are serious about your cooking go to a trade shop.

Which reminds me I need to treat myself to a new set............
                  Good advice, that's why I'm buying my knives from here. I thought they would be carp as they are on offer for only 99p, but the website clearly states that they are "Real Oriental Chef's Knives", so they must be good.

Comment

I've got a santoku knife that I got from Tesco of all places, part of their "professional" range which of course provides instant cynicism. However it's got lovely balance, holds a superb edge and I barely use any other knife for proper chopping and slicing these days.

I've got several knives that're approaching 25 years old and they've never been subjected to anything harsher than a fine whetstone every decade and proper use of a good steel, I'd never use one of those crappy grinders.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                      Good advice, that's why I'm buying my knives from here. I thought they would be carp as they are on offer for only 99p, but the website clearly states that they are "Real Oriental Chef's Knives", so they must be good.
                      Highly recommend them, they don't blunt easily at all and cut like a dream, I mean nightmare

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X