• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just Been overpaid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

were they late paying

You say it wasn't your current agent? One assumes they were late paying, deduct any interest and admin fees due and refund the remainder.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      Leave it in your account and write back to them first telling them you will have to check all accounts to prove the overpayment then tell them your next accounting run is not for 3 months, that should earn some interest. Then add an admin fee (look see what they had in their original contract for reasonable terms).
      Ask them for signed copies of time sheets they are covering.
      You could also try telling them the accounting period has expired and that you can not pay.

All things I have seen tried in the other direction.
      Indeed

I've never understood how that works: yes we owe you the money but because a certain date has passed we're just not going to pay you it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
        to the tune of £14k.

The agency are now asking for it back.

Any ideas how I can get them to let me keep some of it
        Yes. Just send them an invoice for £14,000. Remember to drop them a note thanking them for their prompt payment.

Please name the agency so we can imagine the look on their faces when they receive it
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

No the payment is a complete mistake on their part. Presumably they were trying to pay sombody else but paid me instead. I have not worked for this agency for 5 months. The fact that they stung me for £100 per day commision means I am inclined to be as slow as possible when it comes to paying them back.

I will ask them for the full details in writing as I will need some documented proof so that this money does not appear on my books and for the VAT purposes.

I also want something in the way of hassle it will obviously cost me.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

You could always issue a credit note against future contracts. Sit back and wait for them to find you a juicy contract, knowing you've already been paid for it. I'm not sure if that's strictly legal, but must be worth a try.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

No the payment is a complete mistake on their part. Presumably they were trying to pay sombody else but paid me instead. I have not worked for this agency for 5 months. The fact that they stung me for £100 per day commision means I am inclined to be as slow as possible when it comes to paying them back.

I will ask them for the full details in writing as I will need some documented proof so that this money does not appear on my books and for the VAT purposes.

I also want something in the way of hassle it will obviously cost me.
              Just book a flight to Panama and take a very long holiday. £14K will last for ages there.

Comment

"Just book a flight to Panama and take a very long holiday. £14K will last for ages there."

Not very child friendly that option. I'm thinking along the lines of you can have x now, but you'll have to wait for the rest as my company can't afford it.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

"Just book a flight to Panama and take a very long holiday. £14K will last for ages there."

Not very child friendly that option. I'm thinking along the lines of you can have x now, but you'll have to wait for the rest as my company can't afford it.
                  I'm not being judgemental, but you mean you haven't worked for them for 5 months, they didn't owe you any of it, and you didn't expect it, but you've spent some of it? What would you have done without it?

Comment

expat: when you run a real business stuff like that happens all the time. Have to admit it's more usual to be along the lines of they accidentally fail to pay you, but the opposite is not unknown to me.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                      expat: when you run a real business stuff like that happens all the time.
                      What, you mean automatically spending money you don't have? I must get on with running a real business, I'm fed up with all this budgeting, I mean overly-detailed cashflow projection.

Comment

Working...
                      X