• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting that first contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replies
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
      replies
      edited
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

sorted

Comment

Shell, quick or bubble?
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

any certifications?

Any certs MSDE etc? - remember everyone says they are sh*t hot, Agents & HR can understand certifications.

CV tuned for results not duties? What did you achieve for your employer not what did you do? e.g. I increased website responsiveness by 130% using my skills in SQL tuning and database normalisation.

not sounding too desperate? Agents & employers smell fear like sharks.

Offering all your contacts a good nosh up / night on the lash at your companies expense if they get you a job?

Company set up and ready to go?

Are you a full branded package? i.e. website etc?

Note I had similar problems 3 years ago, it wasn't until I sorted myself out and started to sell myself properly that the interviews started coming in.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

at your company's expense

Comment

there is one skill you need that will never appear on a cv or job advert, you may not have even realised you needed it, but now you are beginning to

balls of steel

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

commission

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
                    SQL server DBA, plus lots of SQL Server development and Oracle PL/SQL Development. My SQL is actually s*** hot, nothing I can't do I even ended up having to mentor the reporting contractors at my last job. Also got plenty of windows server admin experience, some .NET, IIS and systems and network architecture.
                    Seriously, may I presume to translate that into how I think it will be seen by an agent? I'm not taking the piss:

SQL server DBA
                    SQL Server DBA. Do I have a contract requirement for exactly that?

lots of SQL Server development
                    SQL coder

Oracle PL/SQL Development
                    SQL coder

My SQL is actually s*** hot, nothing I can't do I even ended up having to mentor the reporting contractors at my last job.
                    zzzzz

Also got plenty of windows server admin experience, some .NET, IIS and systems and network architecture
                    some .NET, not enough to sell.

I have the same problem: where on my CV do I put that I'm good?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                      Seriously, may I presume to translate that into how I think it will be seen by an agent? I'm not taking the piss:
                      I'm not taking the piss either but why on earth would an agent ever see that? Unless they look at this board and then link my username to me. My CVs are worded a bit differently to say the least
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X