• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's it like living in the City?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I'll stick to my old barn and four acres of grounds including the orchard, the empty drive , burglers and the wee stream that runs through part of it. If I want to be in London the airport's 10 minutes away.
    ftfy
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

There are loads of wee streams in London. Disgusting habit pissing in the street like that.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

10 minutes walk from where sasguru waxes lyrical

Boy, 15, dies after south London stabbing | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          There are loads of wee streams in London. Disgusting habit pissing in the street like that.
          Yes, mostly eminating from shop doorways?
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            10 minutes walk from where sasguru waxes lyrical

Boy, 15, dies after south London stabbing | UK news | guardian.co.uk
            That's more like 45 minutes from Nightingale Lane though.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Not if you are running from Camberwell with a dozen youths armed with knives behind you it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Not sure about that. Used to have a terrace about 10 years ago and you could hear the next door baby crying quite clearly.
                The thing is in the better parts of London, most people add sound proofing when renovating.
                The facades of houses in posh parts of London tell you nothing about their interiors, most are like Tardis's with extensions to the back, loft conversions and stripped-out modernistic interiors.
                The problem I have with a lot of London houses is that narrow frontages combined with extensions out the back make them pretty dark inside.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Exactly. Might as well be a another country.

Meanwhile on Dim's council estate:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-22116002/

I suppose it was a friendly stabbing though as they're all so friendly up there in their NorthEastern paradise.
                  Last edited by sasguru; 12 May 2011, 12:40.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

How much is a house in Wandsworth with a 2 acre garden, detached triple garage, parking for at least 10 cars on the front drive, gated entrance, 5000 sq feet of accommodation and at least 7 bedrooms, with indoor heated swimming pool and fully equipped gymnasium?

Don't really want to move to a smaller place.

Comment

My quality of life will not be improved by a £20 haircut, but an extra £14 of sushi and beer makes a big difference.
                      Says the man who is supposed to be cutting costs.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X