• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US concentration camps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    If we entered the War as a result of the Nazi invasion of Poland why did why sit with our arms folded and agree to allow Stalin to occupy Poland ?
    Political expediency, Alf, no more and no less. The war could not be won without the Soviets and that was the price the western allies were prepared to pay to keep them onside.

Oh and because come Spring 1945 the Soviet war machine was producing more tanks per month than the German war machine produced in a year. As we now know, Patton foresaw what was to come and was demonised for saying so.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      Political expediency, Alf, no more and no less. The war could not be won without the Soviets and that was the price the western allies were prepared to pay to keep them onside.

Oh and because come Spring 1945 the Soviet war machine was producing more tanks per month than the German war machine produced in a year. As we now know, Patton foresaw what was to come and was demonised for saying so.
      Not to mention the cold harsh reality. In 1941 Churchill was in no position to realistically help Poland even if he had wanted to ...
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box

Yes by the same token, perhaps we ought to have just kept out of the War given that the intervention to Protect Polands freedom ended in the betrayal of Poland to Communism.

A disgraceful state of affairs.

Without having to divert his forces to Britain Hitler could well have delivered a decisive and final blow to the Soviet Union, or both sides would have exhausted each other, at any rate Britains infrastructure was ruined by the War and unlike Germany there was no Marshall plan to rebuild the economy consequently the economy was in the doldrums for almost 20 years.

Perhaps this bungling also accounts for Churchill being voted out of office after the war.

But whats done is done ...

Comment

unlike Germany there was no Marshall plan to rebuild the economy consequently the economy was in the doldrums for almost 20 years.
          I read somewhere that we got the same amount as Germany and we spent it on setting up the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
            I read somewhere that we got the same amount as Germany and we spent it on setting up the NHS.
            A debate point arising here perhaps,my imnpression was that while Germany had the US investors falling overthemselves with the Marshall plan to rebduild German industry.

Sadly there was no such reciprocal investment from the US for Uk industry, in fact Britain had to, and perhasp still are, paying the US for War Loans.

This needs to be researched PW, so Im not saying this is de facto merely my impression.
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 20 March 2006, 14:45.

Comment

A debate point arising here perhaps,my imnpression was that while Germany had the US investors falling overthemselves with the Marshall plan to rebduild German industry.

Sadly there was no such reciprocal investment from the US for Uk industry, in fact Britain had to, and perhasp still are, paying the US for War Loans.

This needs to be researched PW, so Im not saying this is de facto merely my impression.
              The war loan repayments were finally completed in 2004, I believe.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                Is that why we had a massive tax reduction in that year?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  Yes I heard that too.

We may well have received money from America under the Marshall plan.

However, America stood on the sidelines for several years while we evacuated our troops from Northern Europe and then tried our best to stand up to Germany, including attacks on the shipping lines by Germany in an attempt to starve us. We were helped by America only is so much as we could buy goods from them. And in order to get the capital we sold substantial amounts of overseas investments, in areas such as South America. So in practice America did rather well out of the war, at least until late 1941 when it entered the war. And the stimulation to the economy ro build the armaments required by American and other forces can't have harmed the US. Our economy was near bankrupt by the end.

As others have said, once Germany declared war on America, the game was up, with fighting on two fronts being too much to withstand.

It does seem odd that Hitler was able to conquer so much of Europe, which he could presumably have held, and yet he went on to declare war on Russia and America, which surely he should have realised was unrealistic.

Comment

Working...
                  X