• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term "emigration"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    By your logic an author can't go to another country to write their next book, and a composer can't spend a week in USA on holiday and happen to write a song in their free time.
    I would BE on holiday but doing some work at the same time. Not working for a client IN that country either. This isn't like trying to pick up work in a foreign country while there on holiday, I'm just doing a few hours' in the evening.
    It's that grey area...

Having a foreign missus I know the ins and outs, let's say we had a kid, and we invited her mum here for a visit to see the kid, no problem.

Let's say we get her over to see the kid and babysit a bit, look after the kid while we go to work, like a grandparent does. Big problem.

It's work, unpaid or not, and if the authorities get a sniff it's big bother...

That's UK tho - I cannot speak for rest of world!

Comment

Musicians and other creative types do this all the time... how do they get away with it? Or maybe they don't?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Musicians and other creative types do this all the time... how do they get away with it? Or maybe they don't?
        HMRC have a whole foreign entertainers section to deal with them.

Comment

Just go, what are you worried about? surely that supernatural being you believe in will provide?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Just go, what are you worried about? surely that supernatural being you believe in will provide?
            Gordon Brown?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              I must be getting old because when I see, as threaded would put it, demonstrations of upfront naivety as that shown above I don't have the energy to reply

SB as ever nicely summed up

Dooog, when the foundation plan is based upon dodgy ideas as those above your chance of success is massively reduced

anyway, good luck to you

Milan.
              On further reading, the VWP says:
              The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of 36 participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business (visitor [B] visa purposes only) for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.
              Quite what they define as 'business' then probably becomes the issue because they also say:
              A visa must be requested if the traveler:

Wants to work or study in the United States, travel as a working foreign media representative, come to the United States for other purposes not allowed on a visitor visa, or intends to immigrate to the United States;
              I'll try to remember to report back further in case it's of use to anyone else.

In the mean-time; has anyone here applied for a visa to work/reside in the US for moderate periods and how much pain was it? I think you are supposed to visit your embassy and phoning them is a premium number (thanks Sam!)

The H2B Visa is most similar to our intentions:
              The H2B visa is a great way for people who want to temporarily live in the USA, working in seasonal and fun jobs.

If you want to travel to America and work over the Summer in a hotel, theme park or on a cruise ship, or if you want to work in a restaurant or as a ski instructor over the Winter - this is the visa for you.
              But it still says:
              The employee must 1st have a job offer from a US employer to perform a temporary job
              And I'm not looking to find work in the US, but simply do my existing 'job' in the US.
              And then there are 2 of us... do we both need visas?
              Last edited by d000hg; 17 May 2011, 09:14.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X